Hi Ken

I am pretty sure that our thinkings on these issues are fairly well in line with one another.

I think so too. Sorry If I've been putting you on the defensive, but IMO it's important to get it right, especially in the details. I'm not always quoting you directly, as with this, from previous:

For what its worth,  I never said anything to the affect that organic farming
couldn't feed everyone.

I know you didn't, and good for you, but it's the usual objection.

Thus with "meat is bad" and "milk is bad".

Keith,

Along with active and informed opposition to factory farming, industrialised farming and the food industry, that might be more effective than just condemning meat and meat-eaters. "Meat is bad" vs "Do you know where that meat you're eating comes from?" That particular meat.

First, I never said "Meat is bad". What I did say was "Frankly, I can't imagine meat remaining a staple for much longer as it is just not a sustainable food source." What I should have said is "Frankly, I can't imagine meat remaining a staple for much longer as it is just not a sustainable food staple."

But it IS a sustainable food staple.

Humans can eat meat sustainably when, as we both have stated, it is eaten in moderation and is carefully farmed.

As with all other food.

As a matter of fact, my children eat meat and dairy as well. My choice to not eat meat is exactly that - my choice. I am careful about where it comes from, though, when they do eat it. The point being, from the beginning, that we Americans need to learn to eat less meat and less dairy.

I don't agree. You need to get your farmers to do farming instead of soil mining, and to get your food distribution system and your food industry in order. There is no choice, you will have to do it, the longer you put it off the worse will be the consequences.

I'm not sure what the conditions are where you live but, where I live, try finding anything that doesn't contain either meat or dairy at a restaurant.

In regards to the lack of traditionally vegetarian societies, isn't the Hindu community primarily meat-free?

No.

In fact aren't there many Asian cultures that incorporate little to no meat in their diets and have so for centuries if not longer?

No.

I have come to understand that meat as a food, has in many cultures, been more of a matter of convience for ages.

No.

A goat is food that could transport itself and also remains fresh without refrigeration until you are ready to eat it. I may not understand your meaning of a traditional vegetarian society or maybe I'm just wrong.

There is no traditional society, one that has stood the test of time and developed a sustainable way of living, that has been primarily vegetarian. The main test of sustainability is how they produced their food and their relationship with the soil. See Lowdermilk, for instance:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#lowdermilk

You'll find societies that ate mostly vegetables and not much meat, and others that ate mostly meat and very little vegetables or grain, but none that only ate vegetables and grains and no meat. There have been such communities within traditional societies, and there still are, but on their own they would not be sustainable. "... there is no sustainable way to maintain and renew soil fertility for crop growth without raising animals too." If you raise them you either have to eat them or compete with them. Cows have a calf a year, half of them bulls, but you only need one bull for more than a hundred cows, what will you do with the rest? For instance.

When properly produced, dairy products are valuable food. They're an important part of sustainable agriculture, without them farming is less sustainable.

What exactly, makes dairy products more valuable than other foods?

I didn't say they're more valuable than other foods, but I did say that without them farming is less sustainable.

Lets say grains for instance?

Would you say that without grains farming is less sustainable? I wouldn't. And there are as many problems with grain allergies as with milk allergies, or more. On the increase, in both cases, so obviously much of it has to do with how it's grown these days, and processed, as Kim said, rather than with its inherent qualities.

How much wheat could be grown with the same water that is required to produce a gallon of milk?

The point is that if you don't produce the gallon of milk you'll be less likely to able to produce the grain sustainably.

I have read quite a bit on this subject. My findings seem to keep indicating that the yields of grains are much higher with same water inputs. And as we all know water is one of our very most valuable resources. Likewise, I have read many times that dairy cattle tend to require a considerable amount of medication and I see no indication that cattle raised for organic milk are immune to that trend.

Wrong. VERY wrong. I've referred you to our Small Farms Library, I think you should do some reading there. Read about Albert Howard's cattle in India that rubbed noses with foot-and-mouth cases over the hedge but never got ill. Read what Newman Turner has to say about not having to pay vet's bills when you start raising the animals properly. Not just mythology, most organic farmers fine the same - real organic farmers, that is. See:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg51743.html
Re: [Biofuel] Chemical use with organic farming.

I suppose that you might be correct about in that without dairy, agriculture becomes less sustainable. That is assuming that by this statement you mean that the milk would be wasted or that it is a resource left unexploited

Not at all - less dairy means less grazing livestock, less grazing livestock means less manure and less fertile soil. Without a dairy market as well as a meat market, ley farming becomes much more difficult.

but, I think that a tremendous amount of research would need to be completed to determine the validity of that statement.

Wrong conclusion.

A lactating cow's manure contains less nutrients to be returned to the soil because she is putting every possible nutrient into her milk to nurture her young.

True, but she's not the only cow on the block, and even depleted, her manure contains a hell of a lot more fertility potential than a bit of wheat straw does. Or a fertiliser bag. Anyway the calf is also producing manure.

So her value to soil fertilization is reduced. Additionally, when considering the additional water consumed by the cow to produce the milk, is the milk of a greater value than the grain that you might be storing for the winter?

It's not an either/or Ken, it's both. You have to think inclusively, there's an interdependence, these are mixed, integrated farms, at their best everything is connected to everything else. One reason you grazed the cows in the first place was to fertilise the soil to raise the grain to supplement the cattle grazing in the winter to produce more manure to fertilise the soil to raise the grain to... There's ample excess at each turn of the wheel to send to the market. Or the kitchen.

How do you quantify these factors?

Go to the Small Farms Library, you're asking the wrong questions.

I am pretty sure that our thinkings on these issues are fairly well in line with one another. For the record, I never said that milk was bad either, only that Americans in general consume entirely too much of it.

Not true, the only issue is how it's produced.

Best wishes

Keith

Ultimately, this is a decision for the person making it, not me..

Take care,
Ken