Hello Fred
thanks for the input, even if it does pop another bubble, dammit.

Mushrooms like the same sugars that yeasts like.  So a lot of what you
are trying to get from the wood is what the fungi consumes.

I have cultured both yeasts and fungi and had to have completely
seperate laminar stations because there was cross contamination going
out of control.

From what I have heard about most brewing systems it seems like I better build a super clean laboratory to do my experiments in. I have an insulated semi-trailer that my buddy was using to grow edible mushrooms in. I was thinking I might strip it back to the cleanable fiberglass walls and washable steel floor and try my hand at brewing something easier like corn or fruit just to get some experience with all this scientific stuff. Right now the trailer houses my electronic workshop and a small jewelry workbench. Whatever I do, it seems plain to me that change is in the air.

If you can find the fungi and make it work, I would be happy to see the results.

fred
Now that you bring up this point about yeasts and fungi eating sugar the same stuff needed to ferment, it occurs to me that these fungi folks were unaware that I was trying to ferment the sawdust. Their original plan as I recall was to help my friend who owns a small sawmill to dispose of sawdust. Oh well at this point it is still in the thinking about it stage. I will gladly leave some of this learning the hard way stuff for next season, or as they say around here “Mañana”

I will apprise you all of the mushroom experiment as it develops.

Brian Rodgers