The smell is methanol.  DO NOT BREATH THESE VAPORS.  The transfer
should be done from sealed and vented processor to sealed and
vented washtank.

Ray

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:22:53 -0400, Todd Hershberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I processed about 60 liters after some successful test batches. I was
disappointed to discover a thick middle layer of emulsion when I did the violent
shake test.

Should I gently stir wash the fuel? Reprocess it using 10% methanol w/ 3.5 grams
of lye? or as virgin oil?

I know my process needs improvement. This was my first large batch over 1 liter.

My other question is. When I pumped the biodiesel from the reactor to the wash tank, there was a noxious smell from the fuel coming out of the the 55 gallon drum. It was kind of choking and eye imitating. I didn't breathe much of it. The
fuel was still warm coming out after 24 hours of settling.

Is that just smell of unwashed biodiesel with contaminants?

Thanks,

Todd

Todd G. Hershberger, CTS

ITSMedia - Goshen College

574.674.2149 - Pager

574.535.7735 - Work

Biofuel  at  Journey  to  Forever:

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000
messages):

Ray or Shiraz Ings
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1-613-253-1311