From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Redler
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 10:58 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Flywheel 'batteries'

I was imagining a LARGE flywheel, perhaps made from concrete with the axis pointed to the ground and the shaft sitting inside a cylinder filled with water or oil (with maybe an oring seal). The hydraulic pressure keeps the flywheel suspended in it's vertical position and provides a low friction surface. You can trade RPM for mass and not have to seriously consider vacuum.

Does anyone remember the equations for angular momentum and kinetic energy from a rotating flywheel?

Mike

Joe Street
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not if it is horizontal.  Maglev (magnetically levitated bearings)  aren't affected regardless of flywheel orientation so long as you don't suddenly over do it and crash them.  I saw a sales rep with a cavalier attitude demonstrating a small maglev turbomolecular pump one time.  It was spinning at 75,000 RPM and he was holding it in his hand.  He turned it sideways and the precession forces crashed the bearing.  That pump didn't stay in his hand for long......
Joe

TarynToo wrote:

If you're running a huge fixed flywheel for hours or days at a time,
doesn't precession become an issue? Even with vacuum containment etc,
don't the bearing get creamed by the lateral forces?

taryn
<http://ornae.com/>