Here's a discussion thread with links to graphs of the gm/kWh for a
few diesel engines.  It changes based both on engine RPM and engine
throttle position.  The VW TDI is one of the best small engines from
what I understand, peaking at under 200 grams/kWh.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=649&start=13

Zeke