No, diesels are not susceptible to detonation which is a non-applicable
concept in its pure form. You want a diesel to burn the fuel wherever the
fuel is, as soon as it is injected. The problem is to get it to burn fast
enough.

Diesels do generate smoke from incomplete combustion as the air excess
grows less. I imagine that a fair amount of smoke can be produced on
without affecting efficiency much - but I don't *know*.

All other things being equal, the leaner the mixture, the more efficient.
The ideal is "air standard efficiency", heat with no fuel. In practice a
diesel engine has to be designed for reliability at a certain power
density/ mixture strength/BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) level, and
if you go too much below this BMEP level, the mass of the moving engine
components and the areas subject to friction, required by the designed
maximum power, will start to impose excessive losses. The friction of the
piston rings during compression and expansion even without combustion
pressures, is also a source of loss, and there are other motoring (zero
combustion operation as in turning over the engine with outside power)
losses.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada