The stock transmission was a close ratio 5 speed, which ends up doing
about 4k rpm at 70mph.  The only way I can explain this low gearing is
1) it was designed for towing (not likely in a rabbit)
2) it was designed to reduce the space between gearing, for faster accelleration
3) the gas engine is so torqless that it only has power a very high
rpms (I think it is tuned for power between 4 and 5k.

I suspect a combination of 2 and 3.  When I switch to the diesel
engine, it can only rev to about 4.5k, and is most fuel efficient at
2k.  The transmission designed to go with the diesel engine has much
higher gearing -- more like 2,800rpm at 70mph in 5th gear.  Of course
this also has wider gaps between the gears, which is not as good with
a diesel that has a narrower power band than a gas engine.  So I
suppose it depends somewhat one whether you are spending alot of time
as sustained highway driving, or more around town driving.

The  VW NA diesel is actually only 55 HP...