I would be inclined to think that turbocharging, or possibly
supercharging the engine would be a better alternative.  Of course you
will have to fabricate all of the parts, and I would wager that the
injector pump won't be able to deliver the extra fuel that significant
boost would require for full power.  Where I live in SW Montana,USA, my
1994 IDI Diesel Ford truck (not my daily driver) could use a wastgated
turbocharger just so that I could reach sea level power.  My home is at
6400 feet, and as such, my power is down about 22 percent right from the
get go.  If I could fund a new turbocharger and exhaust system, and get
boost to 20 pounds absolute manifold pressure, performance would
increase, and less fuel would leave the tailpipe as black smoke.  As an
aside, I have noticed that when I run my truck on B-20 commercial fuel,
when it smokes, the smoke is gray, rather than black, which I take to be
a GOOD THING.

Thanks for listening,

Chuck