The 1.6 liter VW diesel will rev to about 5,000.  Now, it is quite
loud at that point, and the fuel economy degrades (best at about
2,000), but it will do it.   I think the new TDI VW diesels are
redlined at 4,500 rpm (with peak fuel economy at 1800).  There's a
discussion forum vwdiesel.net that has more than you probably could
want to know about the VW diesels, both new ones and the old ones.

I have heard (from a friend who has two MG's) that you can put the
rover V8 engines in them, so I suspect the Isuzu diesel would work.
Should handle the weight, as well as have space to work with.  I saw a
2.2 isuzu, with transmission, for sale on ebay about a month ago.  Or
maybe it was the 2.2 Mazda/perkins.  Can't remember.  You can get the
2.0 and 2.5 liter nissan diesel's new (for industrial applications)
even.  Being a 1979, you are probably exempt from any emissions
testing, which could be a problem putting an industrial diesel in a
newer car (ironic that emissions regulations in the US actually hinder
us from saving the planet -- keep it clean locally while screwing the
rest of the world....)

Zeke