"Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

<snip>

> P.S. for a look at another of my ideas to fight air pollution go here
> http://homepage.urbanet.ch/scaf/pages/flat_tab_medium_indexpag.html

Fascinating.  You have even built a concrete prototype - marvellous!  I have
found
solar towers / chimneys fascinating for some time myself.  Interesting
application.

I trust the filters are at the base to facilitate changing them, and they are a
consumable.  Are re-usable types available, feasible?  They look a bit like
HEPA
filters, but it sounds like the ones you are using have even more filtering
capabilities than those.

Why not go with a pure passive design, rather than dealing with the expense of
conventional PV or the titanium paste type you describe?  If the heated air
creates
enough draw (convection air flow) to pull air across the filters, isn't that
sufficient?  Can you increase the solar heating effect by using a matte black
bottom surface, and possibly some reflective material on the side of the units
away
from the sun?  Or is the aesthetic of being able to see through the glass more
important?  What are you using for the glazing?  Tempered glass?  Will there be
acceptance issues with a device that creates additional heat (even from solar
gain)
in urban environments on hot days?  (Potential for increasing air conditioning
demand in the local area?)

I do appreciate the research you have done on thermal degradation of
conventional
PV, and your solution for the issue.  I'll tuck that away for future reference.

How big do these units need to be to be practical?  I gather the prototype is
smaller than what you intend in real use.  How aabout the potential for using
this
sort of structure as a roof for kiosks or open-air cafés, providing shade for
people while also cleaning the air.  I wonder about the placement in urban
areas,
where unobstructed views of the sun at ground level or near ground level are
rare.
No doubt you have already considered that - just wondering how you have
resolved
the issue.

Neat.

Darryl McMahon

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?