Hello again Dermot

>Keith Addison wrote:
>
> >Hi Andres. Dermot
> >
> >>Hi Dermot,

> >>I have trouble with this whole ethics thing. The Buddha said
> >>(paraphrasing here) that all creatures love life, all creatures fear
> >>death, knowing this, how can you cause harm. The trouble is, i think
> >>that plants are sentient creatures as well. They are on a different
> >>time-scale, mode, or wavelength if you will, but they definitely feel.
> >>

> >I think so too. Plants do some downright weird things, you can
> >explain it all away easily enough perhaps, but you're missing
> >something if you do.
> >
> >I don't have any problems with people being vegetarians or whatever
> >they want to be, but in my view what you call the "holier than thou"
> >attitude that sometimes goes with it is baseless. The trouble is when
> >people do it for their own emotional reasons, which is fair enough,
> >but they try to pretend it's for logical reasons, and get very
> >annoyed when the logic doesn't hold up.
> >
>People shouldn't make important decisions based on emotions, I agree.

But that's not what I said, I said it's fair enough, it's their
prerogative, just don't pretend it's anything else. If you say you
don't like eating meat, or if you don't agree with killing animals so
you don't eat meat, that's fine with me. But if you start promoting
something or insisting that others follow your way then you should
have a solid case for it, not just an emotional one.

>The funny thing is when I make the case for vegetarianism based on logic
>with my meat eating friends they accuse me of being relentlessly logical
>when they begin to lose the argument. You just can't win. :-)

Then they are not very educated about their meat-eating and your
vegetarianism. The only real basis of the discussion is from the
point of view of what's called the "soil community", an ecological
unit, and in these terms vegetarianism is not sustainable. It has to
accord with a sustainable food-production system, and it doesn't.

So what are you basing it on? You are promoting it and you should
have a solid case to present, but I fail to see it. I don't see much
logic. Ethics? What are your ethics based on? Ethical realities are
seldom in conflict with nature's ways. Neither need be as clear as
daylight though, it's all too easy to get them both wrong, it takes
work.

That aside, I recommend you have a considerable browse round Sally
Fallon's website, if you haven't done so already:
http://www.westonaprice.org/

Best wishes

Keith