An interesting case in point is the small town that I'm moving to.
Back in the 70's they set up their own participatory democracy (not a
representative democracy), and basically succeeded from county
control.  They have their own building department, water board, etc.
Only 60 some people live there full time.   However now, 30 years
later, the biggest problem they have is apathy.  They can't even get
15% of the town to regularly show up for community meetings, which is
where they're supposed to decide stuff.