Hi Jason;

Field strength is always specified as volts per distance, not volts per area. If the reaction happens at the electrode surface which most people would assume then the surface area will affect proportionately the amount of ion exchange that is happening per unit time.  My experience is all with rarefied gasses in vacuum chambers and high field strengths.  I work with plasmas.  I have no idea about liquids, but it is a relatively simple thing for me to build the high voltage equipment.  Once ionization happens all kinds of species can exist with varying probabilities in the plasma including compounds, radicals and ionized species.  At this point I am wondering if the desired reaction happens under actual plasma conditions at high pressure (atmospheric or higher).  There does not seem to be any joy in the absence of an arc even when the field strength is more than an order greater than specified in the abstract.

Joe

Jason and Katie wrote:
What if there were flat electrodes for this, would the ratings still be V/mm or would there have to be a consideration of surface area? if the requirements were in V/mm^3 you could calculate an appropriate voltage for a certain flow rate, and the processor could be compacted the same way a heat exchanging device is.

this would be extremely high tensile (4500 Volts, assuming 15 V/mm3) for a 10 lengthx30 widthx1mm thick chamber.

any other numbers would have to come from a successful test, the15V are just prelim figures taken from a previous post by Mr. Joe Street and unfortunately have no connections to any test of my own, but if it helps someone with the process, maybe Mr. Street can crack it.

Jason