I agree with being local.  That is the way to change things.  One little
block at a time.  Of course, how big your local is, is dependent on how
extensive your resources are.

Here in the Philippines, I am up against two or three big giants trying to
push biofuels in a big way but unfortunately, their efforts are short.  We
are also up against government, as government seems to want to get the
biggest bang out of the littlest buck.

I am trying to do this from a finance and investment banking point of view.
What I am trying to do is to get some local businessmen interested in the
project so that I get funding.  I have also learned, especially in the
Philippine scenario, that unless something can be economically or
financially demonstratable, there will be very little support.  Of course,
we know that biofuels are an economically feasible option.  But it does take
some work and effort to educate people, to tell them the story and to ask
them to put their money where it counts.

In another vein, I am in a small power generation company that generates
power for a small island here in the Philippines.  What I have learned is
that we have to fit the local conditions to what suits them.  The group
could have taken great big hydro-electric projects, big wind projects or the
like and just plunk it in.  Unfortunately, when you do that, the longevity
of the project suffers.  When you have a white elephant, it doesn't become a
good rallying point.

What we have done is to take an existing small diesel power plant that was
running diesel fuel and convert it to run heavy oil.  Not only does it lower
the cost of power (diesel is 55% more expensive than heavy oil) but it make
the economic scale manageable.  Next thing for us now is to
start out a biodiesel blend for the heavy fuel oil.  The economic side for
my investors is that this lowers the cost of environmental compliance (I'd
have to put in a great big scrubber instead if not biodiesel), it ought to
lower my maintenance cost and it will prod development in the area with an
increase in demand for vegetable oil.  Then it increase demand for power.

I guess, my "local" way of thinking is a little off-beat, but to you its
local.  my two cents worth.