Marilyn et al,

Managing list servs is one of the things I go for a living; it's a
constant battle against spammers.  If you want your list to reasonably
open and usable, you run the risk
of this kind of thing once in a while.  If you really tighten the list
down, you can make it go away (mostly) but using the list becomes so
cumbersome that your readers may go away too because of the hassle.

You wouldn't believe the amount of time we spend just responding to attacks.

Personally, I think keeping the list fairly open and having this happen
once in a while is a reasonable tradeoff.

-Mike