>Some of my friends here in India (who know more about agriculture
>than I do) would have me believe that traditionally castor oilseed
>cakes are allowed to decompose by soaking in a little water for a
>couple of weeks and then put back into the soil as fertilizer (same
>as done with mustard oilseed cakes).  Apparently it is a very
>effective organic fertilizer and no ill effects seem to be manifest
>in the use of the resulting crops.  I see no reason to blindly
>believe that traditional methods are always free of bad effects,
>however, I understand that castor is a native plant species of
>India, therefore this practice could well be thousands of years old.
>May be we have developed an ability to digest ricin :-).
>
>Chandan

Chandan, that's not far-fetched. Castor oilseed cake does make a good
"fertiliser". A better way to do it would be to compost it, but the
ricin will break down in the soil, there's no danger of your eating
ricin with the crops subsequently grown there. By the time the crop
roots get there it's not ricin anymore.

Indian peasants have long known about many things that science has
only belatedly discovered, there are many examples of it. Bad
practices usually get sifted out when they don't meet the test of
generations, but indeed not always, far from it. The wise and noble
peasant is just as much of a myth as the dumb illiterate peasant is.
Or rather they both exist.

Best

Keith