Mike,

I would stick with the standard air filter.  The oily K&N might kill
your expensive MAF sensor.  They are prone to failing anyway on these
VWs.  The air flow problems are upstream when the snow screen snorkel
gets plugged with sand, dirt and bugs.  You might need to clean it.
That's all for the free advice today.

Todd