From what I remember from my botany courses, plant leaves are also very tightly regulated to reduce water loss. A leaf is basically a large, flat surface coursing with fluid; exactly what you would do to promote evaporation. To slow evap., most leaves have passive pores that close in dry conditions as well as a secreted waxy surface. If the FFA were disrupting the waxy surface or causing the pores to open or both, you would get rapid fluid loss, browning, wilting, etc., but the plant would repair and recover in a short time.

Gooeyness...hmmm...surface gooeyness? Or the whole leaf is a spongey mess? Maybe the waxy seal balling up like oil drops in water?

  Ryan

From: "Thomas Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] FFA's as Weed Killer
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:25:47 -0400

Bob,
and wilted."
     You wrote:
" I sure would like to see some references on the mechanism of this effect."

     I wonder if the FFAs are disrupting the structure of cell membranes.
All cell membranes are phospholipid bilayers with hydrophobic fatty acids
pointing inward towards each other and away from water. The hydrophilic
phosphates are on the inner and outer surfaces interacting w. water. Replace
water w.FFAs and this structure could be compromised.
    After 24 hrs the leaves are more than wilted, they are gooey (for lack
of a better word).
    I'd be interested in knowing the mechanism as well. I dug up a few
treated dandelions 3 - 4 days after treatment. The roots seemed fine. This
morning, a week after treatment, some of the sprayed plants are sprouting
new leaves and the sickly-looking dandelions have sent up new flowers. The
effect does not seem to be systemic.
I like that. It seems very effective against a variety of "weeds" that lack
tap roots or runners.
                                                  Tom