Hello Mike

>Keith,
>
>Much of what you say is true but to lump everyone here in the US
>together is not fair.  BushCo flat stole the last vote,

And the one before, and the next one. But which president didn't?
It's just a matter of degree of in-your-faceness. The Business Party
wins every time.

'It has often been pointed out by political scientists that the US is
basically a one-party state -- the business party, with two factions,
Democrats and Republicans. Most of the population seems to agree. A
very high percentage, sometimes passing 80%, believe that the
government serves "the few and the special interests," not "the
people." ... More serious political scientists in the mainstream
describe the US not as a "democracy" but as a "polyarchy": a system
of elite decision and periodic public ratification. There is surely
much truth to the conclusion of the leading American social
philosopher of the 20th century, John Dewey, whose main work was on
democracy, that until there is democratic control of the primary
economic institutions, politics will be "the shadow cast on society
by big business."' - Noam Chomsky

That is hardly unique to the US.

>and a HUGE group
>of us
>USers (I hate the term "American" - it's as if Mexico and Canada don't
>exist)

We've discussed that before. But it's worldwide usage. I don't think
it causes much confusion, Washington, Americans, North Americans,
everybody understands that.

>are now and have ALWAYS been working as hard as we can to fight
>his programs.

Huge? You (collectively) were outmanoeuvred 30 years ago and you've
hardly got a thing right since, you didn't see anything coming. You
weren't even easy meat for Bushco, there wasn't any need to take any
notice of you at all. The left or whatever you want to call it has
been pathetic, and still is.

>My business and my personal life are shaped by this struggle, as are the
>lives of my friends.  The opposition never went away in the States.
>
>No one I know is in favor of torture,

Of course they're not.

>and if you follow the news in the
>US, even most of the Republicans are against it. This is a Bush Admin.
>thing, not an "American"
>thing.

The School of the Americas, eg?

If all you want is to get things back the way they were before
Bushco, then you're liable to have another Bushco ere long.
Business-as-usual over the last 60 years is what has to go, not just
Bushco. Particularly with foreign policy.

>"Stop talking about blame, dump all the finger-pointing and get it fixed."
>
>We are, and our numbers are growing each day!

Good!

But, nationwide, what you see is silence, people looking the other
way, compliance. Torture rates as a minor issue or a non-issue. Rice
and Bolton et al can still deny that it happens and get away with it.
After three and a half years! If you were a torture victim, you'd
still be waiting patiently all this time would you? It's two years
since congress was treated to three hours of slides and videos of US
troops abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib, yet your leaders can still
deny it happens. Not exactly under a lot of pressure, are they?

"There is no indication of meaningful action by the US government to
remedy the situation and prevent further abuse." -- Amnesty
International

Americans are waking up in large numbers, at long last, and maybe
it's not even too late, but it hasn't reached the torture issue yet.
You can still say nobody cares, and people do say that. Of course
there are exceptions, there always are.

I'm not knocking you Mike, nor the efforts of any and all who oppose
power and brute force, I'm sure you know that.

But I don't think you've made a dent in anything I said.

Published on Thursday, January 6, 2005 by New York Times
We Are All Torturers Now

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/050214fa_fact6
The New Yorker
Outsourcing Torture
The secret history of America's "extraordinary rendition" program
by JANE MAYER
Issue of 2005-02-14
>On January 27th, President Bush, in an interview with the Times,
>assured the world that "torture is never acceptable, nor do we hand
>over people to countries that do torture."

And he's still there, eh?

Most Americans haven't got a clue what they look the other way at.

Best

Keith