Hello David

>Keith Addison wrote:
> >> D. Mindock wrote:
> >>
> >> You know, I'm just flat amazed to find Mr Mindock, whom I regarded as
> >> about as liberal as they come, in complete agreement with Rush Limbaugh
> >> and the rest of the conservative radio gang on anything.  And here it
> >> is, in black and white.
> >>
> >> FWIW, which isn't much, I don't think bugs care at all about
> >> conspiracies, politics, or big drug companies.  I think bugs mutate.
> >> Whether bird flu eventually mutates into something that can be passed
> >>
> > >from person to person because of agribusiness, free range birds, or pigs
> >
> >> being fed infected chickens doesn't really matter once it starts
>to spread.
> >>

> > Then what will you propose, that we sit back and figure out how
>to prevent it?
> >

>I haven't proposed anything, and I don't really intend to.

Excepting that other people shouldn't propose anything either, it
seems, or they'll be sneered at.

> [...]
> > in terms of political polarisations and somehow mislaying the problem
> > in the doing.
> >
> > One thing you're mislaying David is quite a lot of serious stuff
> > that's been posted here about the why's and wherefore's of the bird
> > flu epidemic. Like this report, for instance:
> >

>I've mislayed nothing.  I specifically said I was not addressing where
>it came from or how it might mutate.
>
> > GRAIN, 2006, "The top-down global response to bird flu," Against the
> > grain, April 2006, http://www.grain.org/articles/?id=12
> > The report maintains that the solution being proposed - a complete
> > shift to factory farming - merely brings us back to the source of the
> > current bird flu crisis.
> >
> > GRAIN, 2006, "Fowl play: The poultry industry's central role in the
> > bird flu crisis". February 2006,
> > http://www.grain.org/briefings/?id=194
> >
> > Do you think it's because they've been listening to Rush Limbaugh and
> > the conservative radio gang or to the liberal radio gang, if there is
> > such a thing? Decide which is which, then you can stick a label on it
> > and pretend it's not there.
>
>I didn't accuse D Mindock of spending time listening to talk radio, I
>only expressed my surprise that he would be in agreement with them about
>anything.
>

>I thought it amusing that one of our list members has recently brought
>all kinds of conspiracies to our attention.  Among them I count the
>proposal that the US government was responsible for the 9/11 attacks and
>deliberately blew up three buildings, and the car that runs on water in
>violation of the laws of physics.
>
>Now he's telling us that the whole bird flu thing is a hoax, citing an
>article with text like:
>
>"The entire bird flu scare is one of the most blatant hoaxes of recent
>times, and the popular media continues to reinforce the baseless
>story. You've been hearing about it for months and months now, and
>what's come of it?  Next to nothing."
>
>Obviously if nothing has happened in "months and months" nothing is ever
>going to happen.  Of course, if we apply the same kind of logic to
>global warning we're left concluding that there's no need to reduce CO2
>emissions because "next to nothing" has come of it over the last few months.
>
>I think passages like this tell us about people whose brain processes
>have just about stopped, or who are deliberately trying to mislead us:
>
>"Most of the people who have acquired this infection were bird
>handlers who were in continuous contact with these sick birds. Does
>anyone in their right mind envision similar circumstances in the
>**United States**?*"
>
>I occasionally listen to talk radio while driving around to see what
>creative support they have for the neocons in power.  I'd consider it
>funny except that a disturbing number of Americans seem to believe it
>wholesale.  I distinctly recall Limbaugh saying something very like what

But you're immune. I distinctly recall saying this, about spin in the US:

Quite a few times, judging from all the >'s in its tail. It's a sort
of reality check when people talk about other people who
disingenuously redirect the argument and so on. You can try it on me
if you like.

>Everybody I know who is worried about the bird flu is not worried about
>the current strain of H5N1, they're worried about what happens when it
>mutates into a human transmissable virus.  The passage I quoted above
>attempts to make people who disagree look stupid because Americans do
>not handle dead, infected, chickens the way those currently contracting
>H5N1 do.  What it attempts to do is disingenuously redirect the argument
>away from the real threat.
>
>For the record, I AM concerned about the effect this virus will have on
>the human race once it mutates into a human transmissable virus.  I
>don't believe there are any easy answers for it, but that a lot of
>preparations should be made for it - or for any other pandemic that
>might strike.  These preparations need to be on a personal, local, and
>national level.

Would you include Tamiflu?

And would you include NAIS?

There you are, two more things you can mislay if you feel the need.

Just as you did indeed mislay the report I cited, for the second
time, along with all the other stuff that's been posted on the
subject.

Meanwhile you've dealt D. Mindock a backhanded sneer, twice, sneers
you apparently feel there's no need to substantiate. But so far they
concern subjects that have been discussed here previously, with
further material posted on them, and you're handily mislaying it all
so you can lift out a single soundbyte, ridicule it, and vanish the
whole issue, hey presto. Which seems to be flavour-of-the-week around
here right now.

If you want to go on doing these things you'll have to go somewhere
else, they're infringements of the list conventions. If you want to
stay you should withdraw accusations and sneers you're not prepared
to substantiate and couldn't do so anyway and stop evading the
issue(s).

It's fine when a thread revives itself when someone finds something
further to say or somebody asks a new question, or any genuine
question.

But when it's revived through distorted accusations being thrown at
it the ensuing discussion is distorted in the first place. You can't
start from there.

So I don't quite see how you can defend yourself now without
distorting it further. At the same time you have to effectively
disignore what you've been ignoring.

That would all make a lot of unseemly and distracting noise, just
because somebody wanted to sneer at something it seems he doesn't
want to think about, or he wouldn't have avoided it twice already so
far.

You can back off, if you like, but a polite bow to the list first
would be in order. Otherwise you're quite likely to come back later
and do it again. A polite bow would acknowledge that you won't do it
again. I live in Japan, if you don't like bows I'm sure you can think
of something else that's apt.

I haven't expressed an opinion on any of these issues in this
exchange. It's got nothing to do with your views, it's the way you're
behaving. See:
http://snipurl.com/pq34
[Biofuel] A little clarification
Wed Apr 19 2006