Hi Zeke,

Although "the space requirements for a tracker can actually be higher than 30%
more", it doesn't have to be.

The "current versions" certainly do not need to be on a large pole (http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1487858.htm).

With all due respect, you're comments (intentionally or not) confine the discussion to schemes that actually do take 30% more space (i.e. large, common Gimbal arrangements).

As far as aesthetics are concerned, I agree that people in the US have a strange sense of what looks good on the landscape. As soon as the culture becomes more educated about energy and the environment, I hope that their sense of aesthetics will change too.

Have you ever driven through a large housing development and notice the number of satellite dishes?

Mike

Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yes, you get get 30% more power from the same PV modules, but the
space requirements for a tracker can actually be higher than for 30%
more fixed PV. Fixed PV can be mounted on a building, often on a
existing surface, thus essentially not taking up any room. A tracker
(at least the current versions) require a large pole and room to turn.
I've found that alot of people are okay with putting modules on their
roof that isn't doing anything else anyway, but fewer want something
in the backyard, or sticking up off the roof. Aesthetics are strange
drivers (I know of one case in which the national park service didn't
want a 2,000 sq foot PV array, because it would destroy the natural
beauty, but apparently the 250 car parking lot and droning diesel
generators didn't...). In higher density urban areas, finding the
required volumes of space in which to mount trackers would be even
harder, whereas every urban area has surfaces which receive sunlight.