Hi Tom;

Thomas Kelly wrote:

> Joe,
>     I've been wondering about this myself.
>     This was, in part, what I was asking. Do we simply have to neutralize
> the mix or do we have to achieve a particular pH?
>
>      Would it be possible to measure the amount of acid needed to bring a
> known volume of the glycerine mix to the desired pH and then extrapolate to
> the volume of cocktail we have at hand?

I am guessing the answer is yes. If we titrate a sample from the mixture
of cocktails combined from several batches. I'm not sure how to do that
titration.  I think the glycerin cocktail is water soluble so perhaps we
could mix a few ml of cocktail in some DI water and titrate with
phosphoric to determine the required amount.  If we use phenolphthelein
the turning point would be ph 8.5 so it is not completely neutralized.

>      Todd S. describes (at JTF: "Separating Glycerine") how to calculate the
> amount of acid needed for glyc. cocktail of unknown history. It is
> effective, but one must have patience.
>     I suspect that many people do not split the mix because it's a bit
> confusing or sounds difficult.

I read this one day and it seemed a little involved but perhaps it is
the only way.  I need to read it again and get it clear in my head.  No
time ATM I am going full blast getting ready to teach my seminar on
reactor building.

Best regards;

Joe