Has anyone heard of such a thing? It says "Wood-based biodiesel
production requires the development of new technology." Are they on to
something or are they still working out if this is even possible?

Steve

http://snipurl.com/r8b3

(2006-05-26) Hydro and Norske Skog have agreed to carry out a joint
feasibility study relating to the production of biodiesel from wood.
The intention is to identify the feasibility of establishing a
biodiesel production facility in south-east Norway. Such a plant could
come on stream by 2012 at the earliest.

"We consider ourselves to be natural partners as far as wood-based
biodiesel is concerned. Hydro has wide experience derived from the
construction and operation of major processing plants and from the
quest to find new forms of energy. Norske Skog has considerable
expertise when it comes to wood purchasing and treating wood pulp," say
senior vice president Alexandra Bech Gjørv of Hydro and vice president
Terje Engevik of Norske Skog.

A technically superior product

The production of biodiesel is currently based on rapeseed or other
oil-based raw materials. Wood-based biodiesel production requires the
development of new technology. Once this technology is in place, it
will be possible to offer an even better product than today?s biodiesel.

"Today only a five-percent biodiesel tank mixture is available.
Wood-based biodiesel will give us a technically superior product
without such limitations. By using timber we can also utilize a much
greater proportion of the raw material and considerably reduce
greenhouse gas emissions compared with biodiesel produced from rapeseed
or other plant oils. This means that wood-based biodiesel will be a an
even more environmentally friendly fuel than today?s biodiesel," the
two companies say in a press release.

NEW ENERGY: Alexandra Bech Gjørv is responsible for Hydro's efforts to
develop renewable energy. (Photo: Kåre Foss)

Long road to completion

The road to completion of a possible production plant is, however, a
long one. To begin with, collaboration between the two companies
involves a feasibility study that will primarily provide an overview of
the technologies available in the market, identify the availability of
raw materials, and create a realistic picture of the external governing
conditions that must be in place in order to reach an investment
decision.

"CO2 emissions represent a climate threat that affects all of us, and
we can see that the political will exists to promote biodiesel as an
environmentally friendly alternative to regular fuels. There is great
potential for biodiesel in the market of the future, but if this market
is going to materialize we are in need of a sound, long-term operating
framework from the authorities," state Bech Gjørv and Engevik.

Author: Lars Nermoen
Published: 2006-05-26