Hi Mike;

I don't have any references I can recommend but I'll tell you what I
did. I dry etched silicon using flourine ions in a reactive ion etcher.
Making use of native polymer contamination of the surface and carefully
controling the presence of oxygen radicals I was able to form a dense
structure of columns roughly 100 nm wide and 400 nm tall that when
viewed with an electron microscope look something like a forest. The
nanoconvolution of the surface on a scale less than the wavelength of
visible light results in an extremely antireflective black surface
similar to a moth's eye. (BTW this is why moths see so well in the dark)
The silicon material absorbs all the incoming radiation in the visible
and longer wavelengths and even most of the ultaviolet I'd guess as low
as 198 nm although I haven't tested it.  Silicon is roughly similar to
iron in its heat conducting properties so this film would be very good
for a passive solar system.  I think I could build a machine to sputter
silicon on pipes and etch it in situ if I had the resources.

Joe