From:   Keith Addison [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   3/30/ 2006 5:38
For:    Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject:        Re: [Biofuel] Seeking experience to produce biodiesel from
Castor

>Anyone care to share any experiences with castor oil based biodiesel
>brewing using small-scale plants?  I am told that castor oil dissolves
>in alcohols and external heating is eliminated from the process.  I'm
>also hearing conjectures that castor based biodiesel will not freeze
>even below -20 deg C.  Any pointers to more specific info along these
lines?

>I'll get to my own brewing/learning experiments soon (and I'll start
>with proven processes and materials described on J2FE), but we could do
>with as much existing wisdom as  we can get our hands on, especially
>because what we want to get into out here is not only for our personal
>consumption.  Many thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Chandan

Hi Chandan

I can't share any experience of using castor oil but I can offer some
information which might help. It's been discussed a few times before,
I think other list members may have direct experience of it.

List archives:
http://snipurl.com/oeit
Search results for 'castor'

The one disadvantage mentioned, that I haven't seen an answer to, was
that crushing the seeds creates a seriously bad odour, enough to put
people off. Also the cake is poinsonous, but James Duke says:
"Although it is highly toxic due to the ricin, a method of
detoxicating the meal has now been found, so that it can safely be
fed to livestock."

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Ricinus_communis.html
Ricinus communis

The toxic principle is water-soluble so is not found in the oil. It's
also said to be a drying oil, the equal of tung oil, yet it has a
much lower Iodine Value, though Iodine Value is quite a crude
indicator of whether oils will polymerise or not and castor oil seems
to be an exception. On the other hand it has a longstanding
reputation of being an excellent motor oil.

This is an informative website about castor oil, and biodiesel generally:

http://www.castoroil.in/uses/fuel/castor_oil_fuel.html
Castor Oil as Biofuel & Biodiesel - Info, WWW Resources on Castoroil
as Bio-fuel, Bio-diesel

Others:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/castor.html
Castorbeans

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Ricinus+communis
Ricinus communis

http://snipurl.com/oeiu
The Hindu Business Line : Gujarat Oleo Chem bags Rs 25-cr biodiesel
order from IOC
Gujarat Oleo Chem bags Rs 25-cr biodiesel order from IOC
Mumbai , Aug 3

http://www.tierramerica.net/2003/0526/ianalisis.shtml
Energy in a Castor Bean
The castor-oil plant, ricinus communis, is the best source for
creating "biodiesel", say Brazilian experts.

http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/article/278737-1.html
First electricity from castor oil: Patrick Knight reports on how the
biodiesel industry in Brazil is taking off.
 From Oils & Fats International: Nov, 2004 issue

Hope this helps.

Best

Keith