Here's another trick.  When I added a float switch to my hot water tank
to interlock the heter element, the tank had already been used many
times for biodiesel.  I evacuated all the air from the tank and then
backfilled it with inert gas before welding.  If you have a MIG welder
and you have inert gas it is easy to do this.

Joe