Hello Matthew Law and all.

On July 26th, 2006 you wrote: "My biggest issue is that I love to fly.
 Almost all aeroplanes still use
leaded avgas in very old, mega-inefficient engines.  So, all the work I
may do to reduce my nasty emissions every day is probably cancelled by the
one or two hours flying I do every month.  Yes, there are diesel 'planes
coming on to the market, but what we really need is bio jet fuel which
probably won't happen in my lifetime given the speed at which the aviation
regulators work.  Or even better, electric aeroplanes.

Matt."

You do not need too long to see something new in the air.
There are already Brazilian planes with aviation engines certified for
ethanol use. The first was a crop dusting aeroplane Ipanema, later some of
those engines were available for other small planes as I read lately in a
local newspaper one of them was used here as an ambulance plane for poor
people in remote areas. The Brazilian Air Force is looking for
certification of its T-25 basic trainer with a ethanol powered engine.
Engine consumption is 30% higher but for the same size deliver +5% more
power compared with aviation gasoline but flying with ethanol was 25%
cheaper because ethanol is much cheaper than av-gas.
If you live in North America, the pumps at the nearest airfield would not
have av-ethanol right now so you might need to carry your own fuel.
See the site from the Brazilian aviation builder:

http://www.embraer.com/

http://www.embraer.com.br/institucional/download.asp?onde=download&arqui
vo=2_083-Prd-VPI-Ethanol_Ipanema_Certification-I-04.pdf

http://www.embraer.com/english/content/imprensa/press_release.asp?press_
release_id=880&ano=2004

http://www.embraer.com.br/institucional/download/2_053-Prd-VOP-Ipanema_W
ins_Flight_Intl_Award-I-05.pdf

Other links with more information are below, they are in Portuguese or
English
ETHANOL-FUELED IPANEMA CERTIFIED BY THE CTA
http://www.defesanet.com.br/embraer/neiva1_e.htm
CTA certifica 1o aviao militar a alcool
http://www.defesanet.com.br/fab/cta_alcool.htm

http://www.defesanet.com.br/embraer/ipanema_sci_ame.htm