I bought mine at Gurneys.  The stalks are at 9 ft tall now.  You may be
right about the stalk as the tubers dont form till after the first frost
- seems the plant takes its strength underground.  The tubers are the
best eating the skin is superb and the center good too real butter is
great on these after steaming.  I can tell you they take alot of water
to get them to do well.

Jim