Uncertainty.  That has been the "coherent" reason for a ages.  War in
Afghanistan, oil prices went up when no real impact on oil production occurred.
 The mere mention of a hurricane and oil prices go up.  Israel pounds Lebanon
and oil prices go up.  You and I would like a coherent explanation, but the
ground work is laid.  On November 8 some conflict will happen then uncertainty
will set in and oil prices will go up.  Its like groundhog day: if Exxon's CEO
sees his shadow in the morning, uncertainty will surely follow and profits...
er, I mean, the price of oil goes up because of the laws of Supply and DEMAND
(as in, I DEMAND YOUR MONEY).

ps.  Imagine if I actually guessed the date right.. I would probably get a
visit from the Gestapo... na.. the Bushtapo!