Joe,
     There doesn't seem to be any majik bullet for this.

     The rate of diffusion is related to the kintetic energy (or vapor
pressure?) of the ethanol, its concentration, and the surface area it is
diffusing through.

     I wonder if the problem extracting ethanol from wine is that it only
represents 12 - 13% by volume. as concentration of ethanol drops/water rises
that azeotropic deal becomes more of a factor.

     It may be necessary to first distill the alcohol .....   50%, 60%, 80% ??
     Then dry it with the castor oil screen.

     If so, the picture that is starting to develop is not a pretty one:
   A.  Fermentation   .....   distill ferment  .....   castor oil screen allows

        recovery of some anhydrous ethanol.
        At some point ethanol conc. drops "screening" is no longer feasible.
   B. Return "exhausted" ethanol/water mix to the still along with next
        ferment.

     Thanks for the time and effort you are putting in. I think that
ultimately, the successful production of energy on a small-scale, and hence
local level ..... intergrated with sustainable farming, will include ethanol
production.
     Now go have a drink.
                                            Tom