Hi Robert, Fred and all

I agree with Fred about the cardboard, and that it's nice that you
end up composting the box too.

I've just made a composter with cardboard sides, or sides and back
rather, the front is removable for unloading and is made of half a
defunct wooden sliding door, quite thin wood. The composter itself is
made of two bits of 1 x 2 metre reinforcing grid or whatever it's
called, thin steel welded in a grid pattern with 6" squares. I cut
them in half and trimmed back the edges to make four 36" squares, for
the back, sides and the bottom, volume one cubic yard. The cardboard
panels are wired on inside the sides and back. I stapled some bits of
wood behind the back to connect a corrugated iron lid, hinged on,
sloping to the front. First batch loaded on Thursday, temp at 65 deg
C.

Wood breathes, so does cardboard, and the corrugation provides some
insulation, fwiw. If the material you use doesn't breathe the compost
tends to gather water at the edges where it contacts the surface, it
gets too wet and packs. But if the material breathes too much there's
a risk of drying out the compost before the process is finished.

There's less risk of it drying out if the bottom of the pile is in
contact with the soil. We prefer an air supply from underneath, so we
use wire-mesh bottoms for our compost boxes with a three-inch gap
underneath for the air supply. We also build the pile around a bit of
downpipe standing vertically in the middle, removed when it's all in,
leaving a 3" vertical hole. Hm. That's a bit like an IDD gasifier
stove.

The other boxes are made of wood, whatever scrap I could find,
similar design to the grid box.

We do have a "UU" double box made of five pallets, but we don't like
it, I'm going to cut it up for firewood and replace it. The main
problem is they're too big (and heavy). Pallet boxes come out at
about a cubic metre, only three inches bigger each way than a cubic
yard, but we find cubic yard boxes much easier to work with,
especially Midori, who isn't exactly tall - that extra three inches
is three inches higher than she wants to lift the loading fork.

No need to stick to square or cubic designs, an easy way is to make a
round "bin" out of 36" chicken wire, say 36" across, held up with
four bits of 2 x 1 tacked on the outside (they can also support a
lid), lined on the inside with cardboard. That'll hold about 21 cub
ft.

Here's the basic "New Zealand box" design that probably most people
have been using for the last 60 years in one form or another:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/QR/QR8.jpg
Plan for a Small Bin

Some comments:

1. You don't need such thick wood.
2. The corners are wrong: it's much easier to put the vertical beams
in the corners that way, but then you make four corners to prise the
finished compost out of instead of just two - those beams get in the
way. Better to put the verticals outside the box, not too difficult
to do. Actually there are eight corners in that box.
3. It's also not too difficult to build a decent lid on hinges, also
worth the trouble.
4. We'd give it a mesh bottom and an air supply underneath.

Of course you don't really need boxes, if you build them on the
ground like Tom Kelly does (archives). The disadvantage of this, if
it is a disadvantage, is that you more or less have to build the
whole thing all at once, you can't build it up gradually by adding
material as it comes, which is easier for most people.

We do it both ways, a whole box all at once, or, not actually adding
material as it comes, but adding it in batches, layer upon layer,
with maybe four or five layers altogether to fill the box. This works
well, but it's best to add the next layer while the previous one is
still hot. A week later is about right.

Re worms, worm compost is excellent, and there are many other
advantages to using worms, but they're much slower than thermophilic
compost, and they don't go very deep, only about 9 or 10 inches. For
small volumes that come slowly many people prefer worm boxes. We do
both thermophilic composting and vermicomposting. More re which here:
http://journeytoforever.org/compost_worm.html
Vermicomposting

FYI, received today:

>I want to thank you for your wonderfully informative, concise and
>well organized web site.  I run a small scale worm farm in Northern
>California, and I was able to find all the material I need to answer
>my customers' questions right on your pages. I will be linking many
>of your pages from my site.   You approach the subject in an
>intelligent manner and at all levels of knowledge and understanding.
>Thank you again.

:-)

HTH.

Best