Kirk wrote:

A machine that actually worked without input of heat or mechanical; or
electrical work, or produced more work than was input would be an over unity
machine.   "Underline emphasis by me"

The operation of a heat pump utilizes liquid phase change.  The systems on
the market choose a specific Freon gas for instance Freon 22 is a CHFC
compound.  This particular product when compressed to a liquid at say 250
psi would be sprayed through an orifice in an outside evaporator. When the
pressure is released to for instance 60 PSI  it flashes to a gas. The energy
is extracted from latent heat in the atmosphere. The gas is drawn back to
the compressor, re compressed to liquid which requires a release of energy.
This energy is added to the inside atmosphere  and the liquid returns to
repeat the cycle.

Taking the data for a unit similar to mine for an example:

30,000btu McQuay with a typical condition 50F entering water temp @ 6.1 GPM
with return air temp @ 70, requires 2.383 KW to operate the pump.  This is
8,221 BTU's input. . The output under these conditions is 31,413 BTU's
indicating a COP of 3.86.

My system draws from a 2,000 gallon pool connected to a thermal solar system
. when the pool is 70 to 80 degrees my COP is around 5.

I work in this industry and most of my colleagues refer to this as over
unity.

If anyone wishes to check this data it is available here:

http://www.mcquay.com/mcquaybiz/literature/lit_at_wshp/Catalogs/Cat_1100-5.p
df

Wes

PS: my apologies to Keith for not trimming a post. I have changed from daily
digest to individual emails so I can't make this mistake again

From: Kirk McLoren [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Pendulum

Actually Wes a heat pump ins a heat transport machine. The amount it
transports is proportional to the difference in temperature of the 2 coils.
Source and sink in other words. The amount they transport is compared to
that amount of heat produced in a resistor. If you think of it as a train
carrying heat and the difference in temperature the hill the train carries
it over you can see that the definition of standard conditions determines
the theoretical COP. I would have to look it up as I dont remember the
conditions any more but I seem to recall that a perfect machine would Have a
COP of 12 or 13. A machine of 6 would be a pretty good compromise in
materials as a machine to be perfect would have huge heat exchangers and a
monstrous compressor to keep mass velocities low. At an arbitrarily small
difference in temperature the ratio would of course approach infinity. But
it is just transporting heat.

A machine that actually worked without input of heat or mechanical; or
electrical work, or produced more work than was input would be an over unity
machine.

As an example think of a pipe with an osmotic membrane on one end - a
reverse osmosis membrane. As you inserted it into the ocean at some depth
the pressure would be adequate to cause pure water to flow into the pipe.
Since sea water is 3% denser than fresh water at some depth the weight of
the column of fresh water and the required pressure to operate the membrane
would be supplied by the weight of the external salt water. At that point
fresh water would flow out the top of the pipe sans pump. That would be an
over unity machine.

Kirk