Seems to me that humans are doing a pretty good job of eliminating
humans, by means direct and indirect.

Getting back to Al Gore and the movie, "An Inconvenient Truth".

I think Mr. Gore deserves whatever applause he is getting.  Coming from
his community (professional politician, wealth), it took some courage
for him to invest this degree of himself in an unwelcome message.

Does the movie soft-sell the reality?  Of course it does, what else
could we expect at this point, let alone two years ago when it was being
made?  Without question, it is a key reason that climate change is even
getting coverage in the mainstream media in the North American media.
(I would have thought Katrina would have done it, but as a story, I am
astonished how little coverage there is of the continuing plight of the
displaced and areas that have not recovered, let alone discussion of
whether or not N.O. should be rebuilt being below sea-level in a
high-risk area for a repeat event.)

Can we quibble about the fact that Mr. Gore is not Mother Teresa, and
there is more Gore in the movie than some would like?  Of course.
However, if it was just another dry documentary without some celebrity
sizzle, would as many people have gone to see it?  I seriously doubt it.
  The movie was a success in raising the message.  It may even be a
success financially (which is another important message - the
environment can be economically successful, even if this is a tangential
case).  Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good.  Is it enough?  Of
course not, but why should we expect Gore to be doing this alone?

If you can do better, then do so.  Until then, let's support the few
environment heroes we have.  If we need to criticize, let's pick the
worthy targets (e.g., the Bush administration environmental record,
Exxon-Mobil and the rest of the usual suspects).  So long as the
environment supporters keep bickering amongst ourselves, the environment
destroyers will keep on with business as usual.

Darryl McMahon

Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> On 3/4/07, *Keith Addison* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Wendell
>
>     <snip>
>
>      >     By the way, I seem to recall that termites are the source
>      >of 20 percent of the world's methane. I am no entomologist --is
>      >there any known benefit to man or beast from termites?
>      >If not, let's get 'em!
>

> I think alot better arguement could be made that there is no known
> benefit to the planet from Humans, and we should go get 'em.   Oh,
> except that you can't ask a human this question because they are not a
> neutral observer.
>
>     Right, let's kill them all! Termite-caused global warming has to be
>     stopped in its tracks. There can't be anything important about
>     termites anyway, I mean they only produce 20% of the world's methane
>     after all, and only about two-thirds of the world's dead plants go
>     through termites in the organic matter cycle, obviously they're
>     totally useless to man and beast. Anyway, if we can wipe them out and
>     lose that methane maybe we can go right on guzzle-guzzle-guzzling for
>     a few days or weeks longer before we hit Cold Turkey time on the
>     fossil fuels. What do you think we should use, DDT or malathion?
>
>     What about the methane from wild ruminants, you forgot about them -
>     there are millions and millions of antelope and wildebees in the
>     Serengeti for instance, if we don't go right in there and kill them
>     they'll just go right on farting.
>
>     Same applies to all these useless creatures, if they can't live
>     without being so irresponsible then they just have to go.
>
>     Nature knows best, and if Nature was capable of making these
>     decisions for herself she wouldn't have given us brains to do it for
>     her, right?
>
>     Best
>
>     Keith

Darryl McMahon
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?

The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy (now in print and eBook)
http://www.econogics.com/TENHE/