> :-(
>
> There have been some really disgusting reports recently on US abuse
> of their "war on terror" suspects. David Hicks might be lucky, it
> seems he can still string two words together at least.
>
> >I fear this is a major win (or possibly windfall) for the
> >Neo-cons. Our Govt goes to the polls this year: I guess this will be used
> > to prop up the Prime Ministers fear of Terrorism campaign.
>
> Woe unto those who think they win from such things.
>
> Is that really what you call it, his fear of terrorism campaign? LOL!

Yep, we really are into the Macarthy-ism type campaigns again. It is REALLY
sad. There is even the need to paint all unfortunate Boat people (ie refugees
who try to arrive by boat, usually via Indonesia) as potential terrorists.
 There is never anything said about the poor unfortunate (1000s of) people who
manage to arrive on an aeroplane. My opinion is that a terrorist would not
risk arriving by leaky fishing boat, but would use the monies available to
purchase a passport & ticket for a normal commercial flight.
 These Neo-cons will stoop to any level to remain in power. A recent Federal
election was won on the 'Children Overboard' affair, where it was wrongly
reported that refugees were throwing their children overboard (so the
Australian Navy would rescue them). It seems the truth was more that the boat
was sinking, & everyone was abandoning ship, but this is not how it was
portrayed.
 We will possibly have a change of Government next election (later this year),
but unfortunately the other possibility is just as Neo-con as the existing
(like Tweedle-Dee, & Tweedle-Dumber!) Oh! for a realistic third choice! I
guess the alternative is better in that the dreadful 'Work-Choices'
legislation will be watered down somewhat. (This legislation is designed to
de-power the Union movement: I can tell you that as a Union Delegate (ie
workplace delegate) it is having the opposite effect, with our union now
gaining many more members! I don't think Politicians read history books!)

regards Doug