http://www.prwatch.org/node/5895
Center for Media and Democracy

Playing the Anti-Consumer Card

Source: Denialism.com, February 9, 2007

University of California at Berkeley senior staff attorney and senior
fellow at the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology Chris Hoofnagle
writes, "In my work on consumer protection, I have begun to recognize
patterns" in the actions and arguments of corporations and think
tanks opposing regulations and other oversight. "Whether the topic is
tobacco, food and drug safety, or privacy legislation, these groups
employ the same rhetorical devices to delay and stop consumer
reform." Hoofnagle presents common arguments by these pro-corporate
"denialists" as a deck of cards. Arguments likely to be made early on
in anti-reform campaigns are lower-level cards, progressing up to the
face cards. "No Problem" is the two of clubs, "Stifles Innovation" is
the six of hearts, "Fake Consumer Groups" is the ten of clubs, and
"We'll Lose Money!" is the ace of clubs. "I hope the Denialists' Deck
of Cards has been an entertaining critique," concludes Hoofnagle,
adding that it "can help consumer advocates frame the opposition that
they receive."