  From: Joe Street
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Re-processing troubles

  Hi Tom;

  Excellent synopsis on 'how to do it right'.  Although this is the same
information that is there on the journey to forever website and probably a
hundred times over here on the forum, I wish there was a way to bold it in the
archives or something.  The message should show up in red in my mailbox.

  Thanks for taking the time to put it so succinctly.

  Joe

  Thomas Kelly wrote:

    Hello to All,

         It is my impression that a thicker than "paper thin" middle layer in
the wash test may not indicate an incomplete reaction, but rather excess soap
production. This may be due to high FFA content in the WVO oil, water in the
oil, water in the caustic, or in the methanol. It may even be due to too much
caustic.
         For these reasons, and others, beginner's should start with small (1L)
test batches using virgin oil, the highest quality chemicals, & balances that
allow accurate measurements.

         Much of the soap settles out with the glycerin, as does most of the
caustic and excess methanol. Even after 12 or 24 hours of settling some of the
soap, caustic and excess methanol is still in the biodiesel fraction. That's
why we wash it. The amount that remains is related to the amount produced in
the reaction.

         Using virgin oil eliminates not only the need to titrate, but also
soap formed due to FFAs in the oil. Initial test batches with anything other
than the "paper thin" middle layer (wash test) are unacceptable because it
indicates either an incomplete reaction or excess soap. Given virgin oil,
accurate measurements, and quality chemicals excess soap should not form.

         After success with small (1L) test batches using virgin oil, one may
begin using WVO and eventually scale up to larger batches. This not only
increases the volume of a potential disaster (Emulsions), but also increases
the number of variables that must be considered when a problem arises.

     How do you know what is causing the problem?
         Become familiar with the methanol test (Quality Testing) described at
JTF.
    If there was an incomplete reaction and various glycerides remain in the
"biodiesel", they will remain undissolved in the methanol  ----> a residue at
the bottom; reprocessing is in order. If the entire sample of BD dissolves in
the methanol, but the wash test resulted in a thicker than "paper thin" middle
layer, the problem is soap formation. If using virgin oil, (or low titrating
WVO) and too much soap forms, consider the presence of water or improper
measurement/calculations.

    Ex:
         During methanol recovery (from glycerin mix) one must consider water
contamination in the distillate. Using the recovered methanol may result in a
complete reaction with little soap (good methanol), complete reaction with more
soap than expected (some water contamination), or incomplete reaction with a
lot of soap (serious water contamination).
         The more serious problems are invariably associated with last liters
of methanol that were distilled. I have had a similar experience using the last
gallons of methanol from a barrel. As the barrel empties, water in the air
condenses  ----> more water in final gallons.

         The wash test and the methanol quality tests are both valuable.

         Towards the end of each reaction, I shut off the pump and draw off a
sample of the mix, and then turn the pump back on. I let the mix settle for
about 10 minutes and then do a solubility-in-methanol test on some of the BD
fraction. If it passes, I pump the mix into my settling tank. If I'm making
fuel for my car, and the BD fails the test, I'd add a bit more methoxide and
continue processing. If I'm making fuel for my oil-fired boiler (larger
batches; only 16% methanol vol/vol) a small residue of unreacted oil is
acceptable. Testing this way saves the expense of time and resources involved
in reprocessing.

         Prior to washing a batch I always do a wash test. If the batch passed
the methanol test, but there is a thicker than "paper thin" middle layer I may
let it settle longer, or put a few extra ml. of phosphoric acid in the first
wash water.
    Having passed the methanol test, I wouldn't consider reprocessing.

                                                     Tom