Hi Mike
   This definitly sounds like timing and certain diesels will drive the
mechanical fuel pump with a tapered collet. Since your engine is quite new, I
would suspect that the jam nut has either slightly loosened or was not tight
enough from the factory, allowing the pump to turn on the taper slightly out of
sync. Then it's quite possible for the pump to lock itself again in the new
position.

   This excact same thing happened on my 95 Dodge cummins . There is no keyway
on the shaft. Alighnment proceedure goes as follows: A) find piston TDC on the
power stroke, B) measure the injection plunger height at its most high position
and lock the fuel pump in that position C) finally install the drive gear or
sproket "what have you" on the taper and lock it TIGHT with the jam-nut.
Might be easier for ya to get the exact instructions from the dealer or a local
fuel pump shop. Good luck!!  p.s. Dont forget to unlock the fuel pump LOL b-4
cranking!!!
   Swc. :)