Zeke Yewdall wrote:
> Ah, but I think you may be including a non-monetary benefit...
> remember, for renewable energy or energy efficiency stuff, you can
> only include the strict monetary benefits when calculating payback.

Nope, I'm talking property flipping.

The sad but incontrovertible truth is, the larger
the house, the greater the increase in resale value.

Tracking housing costs since the building boom began
in the early 50s, houses of 10,000 sf, (yes, that's
correct, ten thousand square feet) have shown the
highest rate of return in investment over time.
5,000 less so, but still quite solid, 2,500 are
decent investments, and 1,200 or less are only valuable
for their lots. Fact. ugly but true.

Boutique appliances, countertops and trophy
stoves (that will never be used) are pretty
much a requirement for flipping the property.

This is why the cheaper interest rates are available for
these purchases, because that money yields the highest
return over similar type goods.

This trend has been solid, with only a few hiccups for
nigh on 60 years, and there is nothing to indicate there
will a change anytime soon.

Wonder why all this farm land in the Mid Atlantic
region of the US (some of the  best and most fertile
farm land in the world) is all being converted to tract
mansions? Because that is the sweet spot for investment.
5k+ sq ft houses garner the lowest interest rates and
have the highest resale. No farm can compete with that,
in this 'free market' economy. (I'd like to actually
see a genuine free market economy someday, I keep
hearing about it).

I work in Loundon County Va, USA. Loundon Co is *the*
textbook example of the worst land managment planning
there is. Even the the union of concerned scientists
used Loundon Co as their only negative example in the
publication The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices.

Be that as it may, it's nearly impossible to loose money
in this real estate market. Unless, you try to protect
and preserve what little arable land is left.

Mike Weaver lives in this region, and the neighbors of
whom he speaks are everywhere. You'd have to see it.