Hi Tom

>Hi Keith and all,
>
>I was wondering how the work on using poultry for sustainable
>gardening/farming was going.

It's a micro-ley farming system, rotational grazing on very little
land, using poultry. There's a description here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg62619.html
Re: [Biofuel] More Gardening News - micro ley farming
Keith Addison
Fri, 12 May 2006

That was more than a year ago. We've had really good results, more
than we expected. It needs an update, but that'll take a little time,
there's quite a lot to say, and a lot of new material to upload,
it'll make a new section at the website.

>I am planning to begin stocking a few Muscovy ducks this spring. I
>saw Muscovies on the website. Do you provide housing or supplimental
>feeds?

Yes. Others don't, and just let them forage, they'll find their own
places to shelter. That's possible where there aren't any predators.
Extra feed is useful for them. Three ducks are nesting on eggs right
now, for instance. Muscovies need more feed in winter (not so many
insects around) and seem to eat more greens in winter too. Most/all
supplementary feed can be produced on-farm.

>Do they just forage on their own.

Yes.

>I have some young mulberry trees that I hope might feed them in a few years.

Would you be satisfied with a diet of mulberries?

Muscovies are ace foragers, omnivores. They'll eat grass and clover
and so on, but they don't really graze that much on pastures, it's
more the insects they're interested in. (But they need both.)

Chickens are both grazers and foragers, you can raise them on pasture
but they're destructive so you have to move them often. Geese are
mainly grazers, very little foraging. They prefer different plants to
the chickens - well, the same plants mostly, but geese eat more of
the grasses, chickens eat more of the clovers (or something like
that). The two complement each other well, so you alternate them
around the fields - less fallow, more manuring, better production,
stronger pastures.

This system is faster and more robust than I expected it to be. The
"fields" here are small, 40, 60, 80 sq metres (the total is 700 sq
metres, including two vegetables terraces (no birds allowed)). You
can rotate them quickly this way, almost like you would with raised
growing beds and vegetables. The soil improves rapidly, you're
quickly growing quality crops. Very flexible, easy to adapt,
scaleable up or down.

The Muscovies fit in more or less anywhere you like, they're about
the most useful bird you can have. But I don't think I'd base grass
rotations only on Muscovies, since you asked about using poultry for
sustainable gardening/farming.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_poultry.html
Poultry for small farmers: Journey to Forever
Muscovy ducks - First choice for small farms... For the producer
they're cheap and troublefree: Muscovies more or less produce
themselves. They're self-dependent, better foragers than other ducks,
they grow fast and they seldom get sick." Etc.

>I´m trying to integrate some permaculture/

That seems to be just a word now, usually means whatever people want
it to mean.

>perenial shrub system with animals. Uruguay´s weather has become
>very unpredictable. It seems the speeding up of the water cycle is
>giving us alternating floods with drought. Any ideas or insights?

Bare mountaintops and slopes, or lots of trees on them?

Best

Keith

>Tom Irwin
>

>From:  Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>