http://www.japanfs.org/db/1855-e

Open Letter Sent to Prof. Lovelock on Global Warming and Nuclear Power
Date:   20071009

In April 2007, a group of 14 Japanese organizations involved in
environmental and energy issues sent an open letter to Professor
James Lovelock, a British scientist, regarding the relevance of
nuclear power as a means to curb global warming. The group consists
of civil organizations and non-governmental organizations, such as
Greenpeace Japan and the Kiko (Climate) Network.
In his book "The Revenge of Gaia" and contiributions to newspapers,
Professor Lovelock argues that we should make the maximum use of
nuclear power to survive climate change. Advocating this view, the
Japanese government and the Japan Atomic Energy Relations
Organization have placed advertisements in newspapers in an effort to
gain public acceptance for the nation's nuclear policy.
In the open letter, the group asked Professor Lovelock nine
questions, including "Do you believe that accidents like the
Chernobyl Accident (1986) and the Tokai Criticality Accident (1999)
will never happen again?" The group also expressed their own view for
each question, concluding that nuclear power is not an appropriate
way to address global warming.
The Executive Director of Greenpeace Japan says, "Promoting nuclear
power in Japan and abroad will increase world energy consumption,
which runs against the efforts to tackle global warming. Instead, we
should concentrate our limited time and resources on energy
conservation and promotion of renewable energy that is safer and more
reliable."

http://www.greenpeace.or.jp/campaign/climate/lovelock/Open_Letter_to_L
ovelock.pdf