A precedent could be examined at Alloy, West Virginia, USA where Union
Carbide built such a project in the New River Gorge many decades ago.
At a loop of the New River considerable vertical drop (perhaps 1000
feet) was harnessed by boring a tunnel through the mountain ridge to
rejoin the river several miles downstream. The outlet of the tunnel
houses a turbine power plant. This plant has been operational for many
decades, so those interested could gather facts regarding its cost per
watt generated and various ecological considerations and outcomes. Such
a project seems to have lower impacts than downstream dams and
installations which adversely affect fish migration, create flooding of
valleys, and introduce potential dangers from dam failure to toxic
sedimentation. This project became feasible due to point of use
generation for a large induction furnace to make technical metal alloys
requiring clean firing. If, on the other hand, the power had to be
transmitted long distances, the economic and ecological profiles would
change considerably. Among those added costs would be intangibles such
as environmental and health factors from transmission magnetic fields,
disruption of backland ecosystems and the like. The assessments which
make it to the light of day generally ignore large aspects of the
complex equation of real costs to real benefits ratios.
If all of the costs and impacts were accounted for, I think it unlikely
that any large, centralized project could be honestly justified
contrasted to distributed generation by low impact technologies such as
photovoltaic and wind generation at point of use.