have the guts to follow him?

From: Issue 120 (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120) | November
2007 | Page 74

"Check it out. It's actually a jet engine," says Johnathan Goodwin,
with a low whistle. "This thing is gonna be even cooler than I
thought." We're hunched on the floor of Goodwin's gleaming workshop
in Wichita, Kansas, surrounded by the shards of a wooden packing
crate. Inside the wreckage sits his latest toy--a 1985- issue turbine
engine originally designed for the military. It can spin at a
blistering 60,000 rpm and burn almost any fuel. And Goodwin has some
startling plans for this esoteric piece of hardware: He's going to
use it to create the most fuel-efficient Hummer in history.

Goodwin, a 37-year-old who looks like Kevin Costner with better hair,
is a professional car hacker. The spic-and-span shop is filled with
eight monstrous trucks and cars--Hummers, Yukon XLs, Jeeps--in
various states of undress. His four tattooed, twentysomething grease
monkeys crawl all over them with wrenches and welding torches.

Goodwin leads me over to a red 2005 H3 Hummer that's up on jacks, its
mechanicals removed. He aims to use the turbine to turn the Hummer
into a tricked-out electric hybrid. Like most hybrids, it'll have two
engines, including an electric motor. But in this case, the second
will be the turbine, Goodwin's secret ingredient. Whenever the
truck's juice runs low, the turbine will roar into action for a few
seconds, powering a generator with such gusto that it'll recharge a
set of "supercapacitor" batteries in seconds. This means the H3's
electric motor will be able to perform awesome feats of acceleration
and power over and over again, like a Prius on steroids. What's more,
the turbine will burn biodiesel, a renewable fuel with much lower
emissions than normal diesel; a hydrogen-injection system will then
cut those low emissions in half. And when it's time to fill the tank,
he'll be able to just pull up to the back of a diner and dump in its
excess french-fry grease--as he does with his many other Hummers. Oh,
yeah, he adds, the horsepower will double--from 300 to 600.

"Conservatively," Goodwin muses, scratching his chin, "it'll get 60
miles to the gallon. With 2,000 footpounds of torque. You'll be able
to smoke the tires. And it's going to be superefficient."

He laughs. "Think about it: a 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles
to the gallon and does zero to 60 in five seconds!"

This is the sort of work that's making Goodwin famous in the world of
underground car modders. He is a virtuoso of fuel economy. He takes
the hugest American cars on the road and rejiggers them to get up to
quadruple their normal mileage and burn low-emission renewable fuels
grown on U.S. soil--all while doubling their horsepower. The result
thrills eco-evangelists and red-meat Americans alike: a vehicle
that's simultaneously green and mean. And word's getting out. In the
corner of his office sits Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1987 Jeep Wagoneer,
which Goodwin is converting to biodiesel; soon, Neil Young will be
shipping him a 1960 Lincoln Continental to transform into a
biodiesel--electric hybrid.

His target for Young's car? One hundred miles per gallon.

This is more than a mere American Chopper--style makeover. Goodwin's
experiments point to a radically cleaner and cheaper future for the
American car. The numbers are simple: With a $5,000 bolt-on kit he
coengineered-- the poor man's version of a Goodwin conversion--he can
immediately transform any diesel vehicle to burn 50% less fuel and
produce 80% fewer emissions. On a full-size gas-guzzler, he figures
the kit earns its money back in about a year--or, on a regular car,
two--while hitting an emissions target from the outset that's more
stringent than any regulation we're likely to see in our lifetime.
"Johnathan's in a league of his own," says Martin Tobias, CEO of
Imperium Renewables, the nation's largest producer of biodiesel.
"Nobody out there is doing experiments like he is."

Nobody--particularly not Detroit. Indeed, Goodwin is doing precisely
what the big American automakers have always insisted is impossible.
They have long argued that fuel-efficient and alternative-fuel cars
are a hard sell because they're too cramped and meek for our market.
They've lobbied aggressively against raising fuel-efficiency and
emissions standards, insisting that either would doom the domestic
industry. Yet the truth is that Detroit is now getting squeezed from
all sides. This fall, labor unrest is brewing, and after decades of
inertia on fuel-economy standards, Congress is jockeying to boost the
target for cars to 35 mpg, a 10 mpg jump (which is either
ridiculously large or ridiculously small, depending on whom you ask).
More than a dozen states are enacting laws requiring steep reductions
in greenhouse-gas emissions. Meanwhile, gas prices have hovered
around $3 per gallon for more than a year. And European and Japanese
carmakers are flooding the market with diesel and hybrid machines
that get up to 40% better mileage than the best American cars; some,
such as Mercedes's new BlueTec diesel sedans, deliver that kind of
efficiency and more horsepower.

General Motors, Ford (NYSE:F), and Chrysler (NYSE:DAI), in short,
have a choice: Cede still more ground--or mount a technological
counterattack. Goodwin's work proves that a counterattack is
possible, and maybe easier than many of us imagined. If the dream is
a big, badass ride that's also clean, well, he's there already. As he
points out, his conversions consist almost entirely of taking stock
GM parts and snapping them together in clever new ways. "They could
do all this stuff if they wanted to," he tells me, slapping on a
visor and hunching over an arc welder. "The technology has been there
forever. They make 90% of the components I use." He doesn't have an
engineering degree; he didn't even go to high school: "I've just been
messing around and seeing what I can do."

All of which raises an interesting possibility. Has this guy in a
far-off Kansas garage figured out the way to save Detroit?

America's most revolutionary innovations, it has long been said,
sprang from the ramshackle dens of amateurs. Thomas Edison was a
home-schooled dropout who got his start tinkering with battery parts;
Chester Carlson invented the photocopier in his cramped Long Island
kitchen. NASA, desperate for breakthroughs to help it return to the
moon, has set up million-dollar prizes to encourage private citizens
to come forward with any idea, no matter how crazy. As the theory
goes, only those outside big industries can truly reinvent them.

Goodwin is certainly an outsider. He grew up in a dirt-poor Kansas
family with six siblings and by age 13 began taking on piecework in
local auto shops to help his mother pay the bills. He particularly
enjoyed jamming oversized engines into places no one believed they'd
fit. He put truck engines inside Camaros, Grand Nationals, and Super
Bees; he even put a methanol-fueled turbocharger on a tiny Yamaha
Banshee four-wheeler. "We took that thing from 35 horsepower to 208,"
he recalls. "It was crazy. We couldn't put enough fins on the back to
keep it on the ground." After dropping out of school in the seventh
grade, he made a living by buying up totaled cars and making them as
good as new. "That," he says, "was my school."

Along the way, Goodwin also adopted two views common among Americans,
but typically thought to be in conflict: a love of big cars and a
concern about the environment. He is an avid, if somewhat
nonideological, environmentalist. He believes global warming is a
serious problem, that reliance on foreign oil is a mistake, and that
butt-kicking fuel economy is just good for business. But Goodwin is
also guiltlessly addicted to enormous, brawling rides, precisely the
sort known to suck down Saudi gasoline. (I spied one lonely small
sports car in the corner of his garage, but he confessed he has no
plans to work on it right now.) When he picked me up from my hotel,
he drove a four-door 2008 Cadillac Escalade XL that should have had
its own tugboat. He parallel parked it in one try.

If Goodwin is an artist, though, his canvas has been the Hummer. His
first impression of the thing was inauspicious. In 1990, he bought an
H1 in Denver and began driving it back to Kansas. Within 50 miles,
the bolts in the transmission shook loose, forcing him to stop to fix
it. "By the time I made it home, after three roadside repairs, I
pretty much knew that the Hummer was not all it should be," he told
me. He didn't think much of the 200 horsepower engine, either, which
did "zero to 60 in two days. It was a piece of junk."

So Goodwin decided to prove that environmentalism and power could go
together--by making his new lemon into exhibit A. First, he pulled
the gas engine so he could drop in a Duramax V8, GM's core diesel for
large trucks. Diesel technology is crucial to all of Goodwin's
innovations because it offers several advantages over traditional
gasoline engines. Pound for pound, diesel offers more power and
torque; it's also inherently more efficient, offering up to 40%
better mileage and 20% lower emissions in engines of comparable size.
What's more, many diesel engines can easily accept a wide range of
biodiesel--from the high-quality stuff produced at refineries to the
melted chicken grease siphoned off from the local KFC.

"Think about it," Goodwin laughs. "A 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60
miles to the gallon and will do zero to 60 in five seconds!"

Putting a diesel engine in the Hummer, however, required Goodwin to
crack GM's antitheft system, which makes it a pain to swap out the
engine. In that system, the engine communicates electronically with
the body, fuel supply, and ignition; if you don't have all the
original components, the car won't start. Goodwin jerry-rigged a set
of cables to trick the engine into believing the starter system had
broken, sending it into "fail-safe mode"--a backdoor mechanism
installed at the factory. (At one point in his story, Goodwin wanders
over to a battered cardboard box in the corner of the garage and
hauls out an octopuslike tangle of wires--"the MacGyver," his hacking
device. "I could have sold this for a lot of money on eBay," he
chuckles.)

Once he'd picked the car's lock, Goodwin installed the Duramax and a
five-speed Allison--the required transmission for a Duramax, which
also helps give it race-car-like control and a rapid take off. After
five days' worth of work, the Hummer was getting about 18 mpg--double
the factory 9 mpg--and twice the original horsepower. He drove it
over to a local restaurant and mooched some discarded oil from its
deep fryer, strained the oil through a pair of jeans, and poured it
into the engine. It ran perfectly.

But Goodwin wanted more. While researching alternative fuels, he
learned about the work of Uli Kruger, a German who has spent decades
in Australia exploring techniques for blending fuels that normally
don't mix. One of Kruger's systems induces hydrogen into the air
intake of a diesel engine, producing a cascade of emissions-reducing
and mileage-boosting effects. The hydrogen, ignited by the diesel
combustion, burns extremely clean, producing only water as a
by-product. It also displaces up to 50% of the diesel needed to fuel
the car, effectively doubling the diesel's mileage and cutting
emissions by at least half. Better yet, the water produced from the
hydrogen combustion cools down the engine, so the diesel combustion
generates fewer particulates--and thus fewer nitrogen-oxide emissions.

"You can feed it hydrogen, diesel, biodiesel, corn oil--pretty much
anything but water."

"It's really a fantastic chain reaction, all these good things
happening at once," Kruger tells me. He has also successfully
introduced natural gas--a ubiquitous and generally cheap fuel--into a
diesel-burning engine, which likewise doubles the mileage while
slashing emissions. In another system, he uses heat from the diesel
engine to vaporize ethanol to the point where it can be injected into
the diesel combustion chambers as a booster, with similar
emissions-cutting effects.

Goodwin began building on Kruger's model. In 2005, he set to work
adapting his own H1 Hummer to burn a combination of hydrogen and
biodiesel. He installed a Duramax in the Hummer and plopped a
carbonfiber tank of supercompressed hydrogen into the bed. The
results were impressive: A single tank of hydrogen lasted for 700
miles and cut the diesel consumption in half. It also doubled the
horsepower. "It reduces your carbon footprint by a huge, huge amount,
but you still get all the power of the Duramax," he says, slapping
the H1 on the quarter panel. "And you can feed it hydrogen, diesel,
biodiesel, corn oil--pretty much anything but water."

Two years ago, Goodwin got a rare chance to show off his tricks to
some of the car industry's most prominent engineers. He tells me the
story: He was driving a converted H2 to the SEMA show, the nation's
biggest annual specialty automotive confab, and stopped en route at a
Denver hotel. When he woke up in the morning, there were 20 people
standing around his Hummer. Did I run over somebody? he wondered. As
it turned out, they were engineers for GM, the Hummer's manufacturer.
They noticed that Goodwin's H2 looked modified. "Does it have a
diesel engine in it?"

"Yeah," he said.

"No way," they replied.

He opened the hood, "and they're just all in and out and around the
valves and checking it out," he says. They asked to hear it run,
sending a stab of fear through Goodwin. He'd filled it up with grease
from a Chinese restaurant the day before and was worried that the
cold morning might have solidified the fuel. But it started up on the
first try and ran so quietly that at first they didn't believe it was
really on. "When you start a diesel engine up on vegetable oil,"
Goodwin says, "you turn the key, and you hear nothing. Because of the
lubricating power of the oil, it's just so smooth. Whisper quiet. And
they're like, 'Is it running? Yeah, you can hear the fan going.'"

One engineer turned and said, "GM said this wouldn't work."

"Well," Goodwin replied, "here it is."

Goodwin's feats of engineering have become gradually more visible
over the past year. Last summer, Imperium Renewables contacted MTV's
show Pimp My Ride about creating an Earth Day special in which
Goodwin would convert a muscle car to run on biodiesel. The show
chose a '65 Chevy Impala, and when the conversion was done, he'd
doubled its mileage to 25 mpg and increased its pull from 250 to 800
horsepower. As a stunt, MTV drag-raced the Impala against a
Lamborghini on California's Pomona Raceway. "The Impala blew the
Lamborghini away," says Kevin Kluemper, the lead calibration engineer
for GM's Allison transmission unit, who'd flown down to help with the
conversion. Schwarzenegger, who was on the set that day, asked
Goodwin on the spot to convert his Wagoneer to biodiesel.

Observers of Goodwin's work say his skill lies in an uncanny ability
to visualize a mechanical system in precise detail, long before he
picks up a wrench. (Goodwin says he does much of his mental work
during long drives.) "He has talent unknown to any mortal," says Mad
Mike, Pimp My Ride's host. "He has this ability to see things so
exactly, and I still don't know how he does it."

For his part, Goodwin argues he's merely "a problem solver. Most
people try to make things more complicated than they are." He speaks
of the major carmakers with a sort of mild disdain: If he can piece
together cleaner vehicles out of existing GM parts and a bit of
hot-rod elbow grease, why can't they bake that kind of ingenuity into
their production lines? Prod him enough on the subject and his
mellowness peels away, revealing a guy fired by an almost manic
frustration. "Everybody should be driving a plug-in vehicle right
now," he complains, in one of his laconic engineering lectures, as we
wander through the blistering Kansas heat to a nearby Mexican
restaurant. "I can go next door to Ace Hardware and buy a DC electric
motor, go out to my four-wheel-drive truck, remove the transmission
and engine, bolt the electric motor onto the back of the transfer
case, put a series of lead-acid batteries up to 240 volts in the back
of the bed, and we're good to go. I guarantee you I could drive all
around town and do whatever I need, go home at night, and hook up a
couple of battery chargers, plug one into an outlet, and be good to
go the next day.

"Detroit could do all this stuff overnight if it wanted to," he adds.

In reality, Goodwin's work has begun to influence some of Detroit's
top auto designers, but through curious and circuitous routes. In
2005, Tom Holm, the founder of EcoTrek, a nonprofit that promotes the
use of alternative fuels, heard about Goodwin through the
Hummer-junkie grapevine and hired him. When Holm showed GM the
vehicles Goodwin converted, the company was duly impressed.
Internally, Hummer executives had long been looking for a way to
blunt criticism of the H2's gas-guzzling tendencies and saw Goodwin's
vehicles as an object lesson in what was possible. So GM decided to
flip the switch: It announced the same year that, beginning in 2008,
it would convert its gasoline Hummers to run on ethanol; by 2010, it
said, Hummers would be biodiesel-compatible.

"It was an influence," concedes Hummer general manager Martin Walsh,
of the EcoTrek vehicles. "We wanted to be environmentally responsible
by having engines in Hummers that run on renewable fuels." But until
I contacted Hummer for this story, GM didn't know that the man behind
those machines was none other than Goodwin.

GM's commitment is a start, however halting. Overall, though, Detroit
still seems to be all but paralyzed by the challenges of fuel
economy, emissions, and alternative fuels. And it's not just about
greed or laziness: Talk to car-industry experts, and they'll point
out a number of serious barriers to introducing radically new
alternative-fuel vehicles on a scale that will make a difference. One
of the highest is that low-emission fuels--biodiesel, ethanol,
electricity, hydrogen, all of which account for less than 3% of the
nation's fuel supply--just aren't widely available on American
highways. This creates a chicken-and-egg problem. People won't buy
alternative-fuel cars until it's easy to fill them up, but
alternative fuel makers won't ramp up production until there's a
viable market.

Goodwin admits all these things are true but believes the country
could be weaned off gasoline in a threestep process. The first would
be for Detroit to aggressively roll out diesel engines, much as
Europe has already begun to do (some 50% of all European cars run
diesel). In a single stroke, that would improve the nation's mileage
by as much as 40%, and, because diesel fuel is already widely
available, drivers could take that step with a minimum of disruption.
What's more, given that many diesel engines can also run homegrown
biodiesel, a mass conversion to diesel would help kick-start that
market. (This could have geopolitical implications as well as
environmental and economic ones: The Department of Transportation
estimated in 2004 that if we converted merely one-third of America's
passenger cars and light trucks to diesel, we'd reduce our oil
consumption by up to 1.4 million barrels of oil per day--precisely
the amount we import from Saudi Arabia.)

The second step in Goodwin's scheme would be to produce
diesel-electric hybrid cars. This would double the mileage on even
the biggest diesel vehicles. The third phase would be to produce
electric hybrids that run in "dual fuel" mode, burning biodiesel
along with hydrogen, ethanol, natural gas, or propane. This is the
concept Goodwin is proving out in his turbine-enhanced H3 Hummer and
in Neil Young's Lincoln: "At that point, your mileage just goes
really, really high, and your emissions are incredibly low," he says.
Since those vehicles can run on regular diesel or biodiesel--and
without any alternative fuel at all, if need be-- drivers wouldn't
have to worry about getting stranded on the interstate. At the same
time, as more and more dual-fuel cars hit the road, they would goose
demand for genuinely national ethanol, hydrogen, and biodiesel grids.

For Goodwin, navigating this process is all about imagination and
adaptability. "The point is to design cars that are flexible," he
says. "You'll see a change in how vehicles are fueled in the future.
Which fuel source will be the exclusive one or the one that'll take
over the petroleum base is, you know, anybody's guess, so it's like
the wild, wild West of fuel technology right now. I think it'll be a
combination between a few different fuels. I know hydrogen will
definitely come around."

Imagination and vision, of course, are often rewarded. As global
pressure increases on the United States to reduce our carbon
emissions, those rewards are likely to get juicier. Under some
versions of legislation being considered in Congress, for example,
companies voluntarily deploying superefficient vehicles in large
fleets could be awarded substantial offsets. Take DHL, the FedEx
rival: Goodwin says his company, SAE Energy, is negotiating with the
shipper to convert 800 of its vehicles to dual fuel. "We could get
them an offset of something like 70 cents a gallon," Goodwin says,
"and reduce their cost of fuel by 50%."

Industry insiders and observers agree with many of Goodwin's
prescriptions, particularly his concept of fuel flexibility. "We have
to have alternatives," says Beau Boeckmann, vice president of
California's Galpin Motors, the largest Ford dealership in the
country, who recently partnered with Goodwin to convert a 2008 F450
truck to hydrogen and biodiesel. "Only with a combination of things
can we get alternative fuels off the ground." Boeckmann believes
hydrogen is the true "silver bullet" for ending greenhouse gases but
thinks it'll take more than a decade to figure out how to create and
distribute it cheaply. Mary Beth Stanek, GM's director of
environment, energy, and safety policy, also agrees with the
multifuel approach--and points out that this is precisely how Brazil
weaned itself from regular gasoline. "They pull up to the pump, and
they've got a whole bunch of different choices," she notes. She, too,
predicts diesel will make a comeback because of its inherent fuel
efficiency: "You will see more vehicles going back to diesel over a
lot of different lines."

Yet in reality, American carmakers seem conspicuously slow on the
uptake. Stanek is about as ardent a fan of alternative fuels as
you're likely to find inside GM, but even she admits no one there is
seriously thinking of abandoning the gasoline engine anytime soon.
The 300-million-gallon U.S. biodiesel business is a fraction of the
12-billion-gallon ethanol one. And Detroit is extremely cautious
about what the market can bear.

A Detroit carmaker does, of course, have to worry about selling
millions of cars at reasonable prices. But we've been hearing this
refrain for a long, long time. And with European and Japanese
carmakers driving ever harder into our market--and with Chrysler
having become just another meal for Cerberus Capital--this hardly
seems like the time to be overly cautious. (Those ultralow-emission
Mercedes BlueTec diesels, for example, include a four-wheel-drive
sedan that gets 37 mpg and goes from zero to 60 in 6.6 seconds.)
Moreover, after decades of consumer apathy, improving fuel economy
and reducing carbon output are becoming urgent national priorities.
The green groundswell has arrived, and, given the stakes, anyone who
ignores it does so at his peril. If Detroit can't sell diesel
now--especially a clean, high-performance, moneysaving diesel--it
never will.

With U.S. carmakers being stripped for parts, now is hardly the time
for them to play it safe.

Goodwin, perhaps, can afford to be a visionary. He has the luxury of
converting cars for fancy clients who'll pay handsomely to drive on
higher moral ground. (He charges $28,000 for a "basic H2 conversion
to diesel- -custom concept cars cost far more.") The future of the
American car will likely be won by an automaker that can split the
difference--one that may innovate more slowly than Goodwin would
like, but a hell of a lot
faster than the Big Three.

Goodwin himself seems more oracle than implementer, slightly unsure
of how his ideas could be brought to the masses. He's working on
patenting aspects of his and Kruger's dual-fuel work and would love
to license it to the big carmakers. But the truth is, he's a
mechanic's mechanic--happiest when he's solving some technical
puzzle. He loves getting his hands dirty, "throwing wrenches around"
in his shop, pioneering some weird new way to fuel a car. Today, he's
thinking about taking his wife's Infiniti, outfitting it with a tank
of ether, and powering the engine via blasts of compressed air in the
cylinders. "Zero emissions!" he crows. It's the visionary inventor's
curse: constantly distracted by shiny objects.

Goodwin eyes the turbine, which he has dragged out to the center of
the floor. Just for kicks, he says, he's thinking of mounting it on a
wheelie board and firing it up. "I'd love to see how fast that goes,"
he says. "I'm just not sure how I'm going to steer it."

Feedback: [EMAIL PROTECTED]