Keith Addison wrote:
[snip]
> Others had estimated total reserves of about 900 billion barrels.
>
> Does anyone really know?
>
> Matt Simmons says they don't know, and that they tell lies.
>
> How would any of us find out for sure? We can't. So we're left to
> take it on faith - true believers vs sceptics, whether it's that
> there's more than enough or that we're running out.

As Amory Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute <http://www.rmi.org/>
has pointed out, 94% of the world's petroleum reserves are owned by
countries which consider them national secrets, and hold their
information close to the chest.  For this reason we don't really know
with any degree of accuracy just how much oil there is out there.

AP