>Keith Addison wrote:
>>>  I'm having a hard time finding WVO.  I need 500 Gallons per month and
>>>  I'm tired of driving around and fighting for oil at every restaurant
>>>  within 10 miles.  I've found other companies in other states that sell
>>>  and deliver larger quantities but nothing close to home.  I'm just
>>>  outside of Philadelphia - has anyone heard or run into such an animal.
>>>  Thanks,
>>>  Roger
>>
>>  Why do you need so much oil? That should be enough for 12 people.
>
>This is the US Keith :)

Yes, Chip, I know. :-)

But it just doesn't wash.

I also come from a big country, not that big, but big enough, so I
know something about it. I quite often used to drive 1,000 miles each
way for the weekend, or 400 each way for a different weekend. In an
850cc Mini, foot flat all the way at 80 mph, and not very much gas
used. (I'm not small, 6ft 2in.)

Japan's a big country too, in its way, narrow but long. Where you
guys need a 6.8 litre F250 truck the Japanese use little 660cc
K-trucks, for just about everything, very economical, tough and
capable. Good 4x4 too, not easy to get stuck in a K-truck. They're
real trucks, but miniaturised, not made-over cars. I don't think
Japan would work very well without its K-trucks, I can see it sort of
slowly grinding to a halt. There are K-cars too, all the K-vehicles
have low taxes to encourage people to buy them. I wonder if your
F250s accomplish that much more work than Japan's K-trucks do (let
alone 10 times as much work, since they're 10 times as big), and what
the real costs might be per unit of work accomplished in each case,
or some such efficiency comparison. I've no idea where to find such
data, if anywhere, but it might be a surprise.

Anyway, the cases you describe don't seem to be typical for the US,
according to these stats, source U.S. Department of Transportation:
Average annual fuel consumed per vehicle (gallons) - Passenger car - 2005: 541
Average miles traveled per vehicle (thousands) - Passenger car: 12.4
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004727.html

That's about what I thought, 12,000 miles a year, 500 gallons. So
yes, Roger's 500 gallons a month should be enough for 12 people.

I don't know, but I don't think he's in the same situation as you. He
says he's just outside Philadelphia, he said before he works for a
laboratory surplus equipment company, in Philadelphia I guess, though
maybe not. So why does he need so much fuel?

Interesting numbers at that infoplease page.

Number of passenger cars registered
1960: 61,671,000
2005: 135,568,000

Did the US get twice as big in the meantime? No:

Vehicle-miles traveled - Passenger car
1960: 587,000,000
2005: 1,689,965,000

It got three times as big! LOL!

Sorry.

<snip>

>But still I see no real changes, just individual disasters.

That's the problem eh? Ordinary people, the real ones, get hurt
first, and the toy people don't feel a thing.

I suppose long-haul will go by train, or not at all, trucks will be
for local. Hm. The Japanese don't export the K-vehicles, but I think
you can get second-hand K-trucks in the US now. Maybe some of your
trucker friends might be interested in this:

>http://www.best-used-tractors.com/mini_truck.html
>Used Japanese 4X4 K-class Mini Trucks, Micro Trucks - US and Canada
>
>"The Japanese have been making right hand drive light duty trucks
>for decades which Best Used Tractors can now import used in
>containers to the US, to Canada, and to many other countries around
>the globe."

Bit of money to be made there, I think. Could even be trendy, sort of
an anti-Hummer.

Best

Keith