Hello Shan

>Keith
>    My understanding was that  the 'poistive' attributes of GM crops/foods
>were supposed to be  that they got a higher yield, for insects didn't take as
>much, plus it was less  expensive to grow them for there was no need for
>pesticides, etc.  It seems  that even those traits are not panning
>out though. Or have
>I  misunderstood?

Well, that's the spin, but it ain't so. None of the pro-GM spin
checks out: yields aren't higher, they're often lower, pesticide use
goes up, not down, the GM traits don't stay put, they spread through
the pollen, polluting other crops and creating "superweeds", and the
basis of the claims for safety and health are based on bent science,
no science, and suppression of science that finds harmful effects (eg
Árpád Pusztai, most famously).

Genetically Engineered Crops and Pesticide Use in the United States:
The First Nine Years
Dr. Charles M. Benbrook
Northwest Science and Environmental Policy Center
"The substantial increase in herbicide use on RR crops is now
unmistakable in USDA pesticide use data."
http://www.biotech-info.net/Full_version_first_nine.pdf

Troubled Times Amid Commercial Success for Roundup Ready Soybeans --
A report by consultant Charles M. Benbrook of the Northwest Science
and Environmental Policy Center in Idaho found that farmers are using
more herbicide than ever before, despite biotech industry claims to
the contrary. Using US Department of Agriculture data from 1998,
Benbrook found that farmers sprayed 11.4% more herbicide on
herbicide-resistant genetically engineered crops than on fields
treated with conventional herbicides.
http://www.mindfully.org/GE/GE2/RRS-Troubled-Benbrook.htm
Dr. Charles M. Benbrook
Northwest Science and Environmental Policy Center

GE Crop Yields/Pesticide Use No Better
Recent data from the US Department of Agriculture's Economic
Research Service for the 1997 and 1998 growing season found
that in most cases genetically engineered crops were not
getting any better yields than conventional crops, and
farmers were using about the same amount of pesticides on
engineered crops as conventional crops.
http://www.purefood.org/Organic/oca19.cfm#GE

New Soil Association report shows GM crops do not yield more - sometimes less
04/14/2008
The Soil Association has published a report on the latest available
research on GM crop yields over the last ten years (see report
below). The yields of all major GM crop varieties in cultivation are
lower than, or at best, equivalent to, yields from non-GM varieties.
<http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/848d689047cb466780256a6b00298980/3cacfd251aab6d318025742700407f02!OpenDocument>

"Most of the genetic modifications introduced in crops aim at making
them resistant to pests or weed killing, but not to increase yields,"
says Hans-Joerg Jacobsen, biologist at the University of Hanover in
Germany. "Modern cultures, free of any genetic modification, have
higher yields than genetically modified seeds."
GM foods the problem, not the solution, Inter Press Service (IPS), May 23, 2008
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=42480

Vandana Shiva says: "Genetic engineering so far has only achieved
transfer of single gene traits such as herbicide resistance and Bt.
toxin production. Yield and environmental resilience are multigenetic
traits, and there is no GM crop currently engineered for high yields.
Monsanto has claimed that its Bt. Cotton in India yields 1,500
kg/acre. Most independent studies have found 300-400 kg/acre as an
average, with many farmers facing total crop failure due to pest
attack and some getting more than 1,000 kg if the weather was not too
dry or two wet."
Why Prince Charles is right: we need GM free food and agriculture for
food security
By Dr Vandana Shiva
The Daily Telegraph, 22 August 2008
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/21/eashiva121.xml>

"Genetically modified agriculture will not solve the world's hunger
problem," Hans Kast, managing director of the plant science branch of
the chemical giant BASF told the German newspaper Die Sueddeutsche
Zeitung. -- GM foods the problem, not the solution, Inter Press
Service (IPS), May 23, 2008
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=42480

Martin Taylor, chairman of Syngenta, said the current industry focus
on farmers in rich countries meant it would take 20 years to launch
crop varieties designed to address the problems of the developing
world. He told the Guardian: "GM won't solve the food crisis, at
least not in the short term." -- "GM will not solve current food
crisis, says industry boss," June 27 2008
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/27/gmcrops.food?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront>

And so on.

Best

Keith