On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Keith Addison
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> >Keith Addison wrote:
>
> Old cars aren't necessarily scrapped here. It's expensive to scrap a
> car. Our two are 19 and 20 years old, both those models are still
> quite common (especially the TownAce, it's a classic). There are much
> older cars too. I saw an old 60s English MGB sports car, an open
> convertible, beautifully restored, driven by a Japanese guy wearing
> tweeds and a very English moustache. There's a cult that worships
> massive 60s US V8s, they often go on outings together, an
> extraordinary sight, all in perfect condition or even better. But
> indeed old cars are a small minority, though that might have more to
> do with consumer perceptions than with safety regs and shakens. Far
> too many cars in Japan, no need for most of them - public transport
> is very good.

That's interesting to hear -- because over in the US, we hear that Japanese
cars rarely make it beyond 30,000 miles because of some sort of regulation.
There are importers that specialize in low mileage JDM engines and half cuts
(the whole front of the car or truck) to replace engines over here, or put
diesel's into ones that only came in gasoline over here.  Wonder what
they're referring to......

I'm working on a 1974 Ford Courier (made in Japan by Koyo Togyo, known as
Mazda in most places), electric vehicle conversion.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dn5ptfs_4gnnwwwhn