Keith,

Keith Addison wrote:
>> For example, only the makers of FDA approved drugs can use the  word cure...
>> [and] the FDA only  approves drugs that go through its specific approval
>> process --- one that costs  hundreds of billions of dollars.
>>

> Could that be right? It really costs hundreds of billions of dollars to get a
> drug approved? Does it cost even hundreds of millions?

As someone who once ran a medical device company, and spent many a long
hour dealing with FDA, I can affirm that the FDA is like the IRS, except
they have no mercy, and the audits go on for years unending. It does not
cost hundreds of billions, however. Such price tags are reserved for the
morass of war. Not even the conquest of AIDS in Africa would be that
expensive.

That said, drug approval is often more expensive than device approval.
Devices can often be approved after fairly small trials consisting of
100-200 people. When trying to gain approval for a drug, by contrast
(after demonstrating sufficient safety in smaller trials), sometimes one
must try to tease out fairly subtle health improvements or rare
complications, and either requires many, many warm bodies. For example,
NSAIDs, drugs that help prevent heart problems, must be given to enough
people over a long enough time to demonstrate that there is sufficient
positive reason to use them and a lack of a negative reason to avoid
them. A 25% improvement in a problem or reduction in a complication that
may afflict only a few tenths or hundredths of a percent of a certain
population may require thousands of participants in a long-term drug
trial before statistical certitude is sufficient.

As implied, I often found dealing with the FDA to be like living in one
of the circles of hell. In spite of all of it, however, I think the
system is basically sound and that the ideas underlying it are
reasonable. Of course we need to test drugs. Of course we need to have
solid evidence of safety and efficacy. Science actually works.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/