I guess it will surprise no one that I am skeptical to cynical of the
value of this bit of spin.  I suppose some will want to credit Obama
with putting lipstick on a pig for the "agreement" reached at Copenhagen.

That the agreement is non-binding, and the targets are essentially set
for higher emissions than under Kyoto, despite the evidence amassed
since that accord, strikes me as a Faustian deal.

Because the agreement is non-binding, it's just a screen to hide behind
while we play out a climate change version of the tragedy of the commons.

Darryl
www.10n10.ca

Keith Addison wrote:
> EERE's view, FWIW...
>
>> A weekly newsletter from the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE)
>> <http://www.eere.energy.gov/>Office of Energy Efficiency and
>> Renewable Energy (EERE). The EERE Network News is also available on
>> the Web at:
>> <http://www.eere.energy.gov/news/enn.cfm>www.eere.energy.gov/news/enn.cfm
>>
>> January 06, 2010
>>
>> News and Events
>>
>> President Obama Spearheads a Climate Agreement in Copenhagen
>>
>> President Obama visited Copenhagen, Denmark, on December 18, 2009,
>> and met with the heads of state from Brazil, China, India, and South
>> Africa to reach a climate agreement called the "Copenhagen Accord."
>> The agreement emerged as the primary achievement of the United
>> Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen. The non-binding
>> agreement calls for deep cuts in global emissions of greenhouse
>> gases so as to hold the increase in global temperature below 2°C,
>> and it calls for industrialized countries to determine their
>> economy-wide emissions targets for 2020 and submit them to the
>> United Nations by the end of January. A number of developing
>> countries, including the major emerging economies, also agreed to
>> list their voluntary pledges to reduce emissions by the end of
>> January and agreed to communicate their efforts to limit greenhouse
>> gas emissions every two years.
>>
>> The Copenhagen Accord also calls for international support of a
>> comprehensive adaptation program and of mitigation efforts by
>> developing countries. The accord commits developed countries to
>> provide new and additional resources approaching $30 billion for the
>> 2010-2012 time period, balanced between adaptation and mitigation.
>> Developed countries also committed to a goal of mobilizing $100
>> billion per year by 2020 to address the needs of developing
>> countries. The accord establishes a new Copenhagen Green Climate
>> Fund to coordinate the distribution of a significant portion of this
>> funding. According to the secretariat of the U.N. Framework
>> Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Copenhagen Accord was
>> agreed to by a majority of countries, although the entire Conference
>> of the Parties to the UNFCCC (consisting of 194 countries) agreed
>> only to "take note" of the accord. The next Conference of the
>> Parties will be held in Mexico, starting on November 29, 2010. See
>> the UNFCCC press release
>> (<http://unfccc.int/files/press/news_room/press_releases_and_advisories/application/pdf/pr_cop15_20091219.pdf>PDF
>>
>> 178 KB), pages 2-4 of the Copenhagen Accord
>> (<http://unfccc.int/files/meetings/cop_15/application/pdf/cop15_cph_auv.pdf>PDF
>>
>> 182 KB), and other products of the Copenhagen conference on the
>> <http://unfccc.int/>UNFCCC home page.
>> <http://get.adobe.com/reader/>Download Adobe Reader.
>>
>> President Obama called the agreement a meaningful and unprecedented
>> breakthrough. "For the first time in history, all major economies
> [...]

Darryl McMahon

The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy (in trade paperback and eBook)
http://www.econogics.com/TENHE/

Journey to Forever reviews The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html#tenhe