Hi Darryl

>Thanks, Keith.  I think it's coming along.  Of course, I still have a
>little more than 11 months to finish it up.  Good thing, as we seem to
>have some other priorities to work on.  For instance, this was part of
>our day yesterday.
>http://www.econogics.com/blog.htm
>
>I appreciate the link, it should help spread the message.

I haven't got that far yet though, I got waylaid. It'll take a few
more days now. But as you say, the year is still young.

>Heated toilet seats are a rare luxury here.  But then, most of us have
>central heating, so the seat isn't usually that cold.
>
>As for 10n10, it'll be a bigger challenge for some of us than others.
>The further we are along the curve away from dependence on fossil fuels,
>the tougher the next 10% will be.
>
>However, it's the objective that's the key; we're all on this planet
>together.  Sounds like you are a lot further along the curve than most
>of us; we're definitely still burning petrol, but less than we used to
>consume.  Maybe someone on the list can come up with some options on
>heating to help you displace some of the kerosene use.  Hypothermia is
>definitely not part of the plan.

Nah, there's no good answer, not in this house. We've checked it all
out all too thoroughly, believe me.

By the way, I was a little hasty in my previous message - I said we
haven't bought any petro, but I meant petro-diesel, for the TownAce,
and I should have said so. In fact we do use gasoline for the
K-truck, but the K-truck hardly uses any fuel anyway. It's only
550cc, very economical, and we don't use it that much, mostly for
short hops, 10 minutes to the local centre, or 20 minutes to the next
small town, which has the nearest train station. Buses are sparse
here, and it's too mountainous for bikes, at least for a creaky old
fart like me.

Something else I should have said was that we're just about finished
our work here now and we're planning to leave Japan sometime this
year, which will definitely expand our carbon footprints well beyond
any offsets we might merit by eschewing the electric toilet.

That'll be it as far as this old house is concerned, nobody else will
live here after we leave. Why not? Because it's haunted. Or so the
locals say. Even Midori didn't want to be alone here at first unless
I was with her. So it'll just stand here empty until it tumbles down.
Better than the landfill I suppose. Actually there are lots of
abandoned old houses in the villages, they don't have to be haunted,
it's the rural decline.

>We can be smarter than this (business as usual on the greenhouse gases
>front).  I hope we will choose to be.

I think it's moving that way, once you get down to the people level.
People are choosing to be smarter, large numbers of them. I think a
lot of people are thinking similar thoughts to 10n10, and doing
something about it too. Washington and Wall Street though...

Best

Keith