Keith Addison wrote:
> More re aggressive kids:
>

>> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 04:08:46 +0000
>> Sender: Organic Gardening Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> From: Laura McKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: OT: "look at the duck!"
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> Ok, a quick rave.  We went to the botanical garden today and headed,
>> as usual, to the Japanese garden area fairly quickly.  At the pond
>> were two beautiful Canadian geese. They hissed a bit at Jill but we
>> stayed quiet and watched them for a while at a pretty close range.
>> At 3 feet, Canadian geese are marvelous creatures and this pair was
>> very brave.
>>
>>  Three adults and two little girls came up while we were watching
>> and not only did they run at these poor geese (who bravely stood
>> their ground and hissed) but all three adults at varying times said
>> "look at the duck!"
>>
>>  I had a similar moment years ago at the top of Sandia Peak where a
>> raven flew by and a whole lot of people standing there shouted,
>> "Eagle! Eagle!"
>>
>>   Sean tells me I'm being over sensitive but I say again, "You can't
>> conserve or even care about conserving that which you know nothing
>> of."

[snip]

D'oh!

At work a couple of weeks ago I watched a particularly graceful bird fly
around the airport gates, and then fly off toward the airport hotel.
One of the guys I work with asked me if it was a pigeon.  No, it was a
falcon.  It was hunting pigeons.

For an astonishing number of people a bird is just "a bird".

AP